Raspberry Cyser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
ok since most you all tried my raspberry cyser at the last brew day at croz's. so who really wants the recipe?
i can dig it up if enough people want it.

i wouldnt call it fortified it was more just a high alcohol ferment but with out the bite. it was the one we started off with

it was after the crush, it was a little green stubby i brought. everyone got a nip i think or i thought so. its very aromatic and sweet

I havnt tried it, but i want to make a cyser - please post by all means!

ok here goes now remember this was made as a 5L batch so will need to be scaled depending on the size you want.
2.4L of apple juice
2.4L of apple and pear juice (not essential but leaves some sweetness that cant be fermented out)
750g of light flavored honey
600g of raspberries

mix all together the day before pitching adding a little pectaneze and sodium metabisulfate to sterilize the must. let sit for 24 hours and then pitch your yeast.
i used ec 1118 for the one you all tried but ive got one with s33 going at the moment so in a couple of months after is been sitting for a while ill bottle.
i do rack after fermentation has slowed down just to get it off the yeast cake.
my average batch age before bottling is around the 4 month figure but yo could go longer as it wont affect it since its around 14%. i use no preservative no additive juice for this and find it works well it hink its berri juice i use but not sure just walk down the juce isle and have a look.
happy brewing

ok here goes now remember this was made as a 5L batch so will need to be scaled depending on the size you want.
2.4L of apple juice
2.4L of apple and pear juice (not essential but leaves some sweetness that cant be fermented out)
750g of light flavored honey
600g of raspberries

mix all together the day before pitching adding a little pectaneze and sodium metasulfate to sterilize the must. let sit for 24 hours and then pitch your yeast.
i used ec 1118 for the one you all tried but ive got one with s33 going at the moment so in a couple of months after is been sitting for a while ill bottle.
my average batch age before bottling is around the 4 month figure but yo could go longer as it wont affect it since its around 14%. i use no preservative no additive juice for this and find it works well it hink its berri juice i use but not sure just walk down the juce isle and have a look.
happy brewing

This sounds interesting Barls, but where do you get pectaneze and sodium metasulfate from? How much is a little?

i got the pectineze for the country brewer but i think most lhb have it. the metabisulfate (my bad i stuffed it up) was left over from my earlier days when i thought this was alright to clean with. a little is a couple of grams of each.
one point i forgot to make is that this is better with fresh raspberries that have been frozen

actually i have the flu thats the second one in about 1 hour. i could go a beer right now as i havent had one since saturday last week. that could be my problem no beer :(
ill go back and fix it now

mix all together the day before pitching adding a little pectaneze and sodium metabisulfate to sterilize the must. let sit for 24 hours and then pitch your yeast.
my average batch age before bottling is around the 4 month figure but yo could go longer as it wont affect it since its around 14%.

Hey Barls, sounds awsome. I recon my wife will love it. a few questions though?

Why throw in pectaneze and sodium metabisulfate into the actual brew? surely it can be good for the brew?
With lemonades, ciders etc you boil up the ingrediants together? why no boiling?
What temp did you ferment at? and what temp did you rack at (or doesnt it matter - just cube and forget)?
Im assuming ec1118 is a champagnie or cider yeast? wouldnt s33 die because of the 14%acl?

pectineze is for the pectin in the fruit, it helps remove part of the enzyme that sets it as a jam by my understanding.
the metabi sulfate is to chemically do the same as you would when you boil, because you dont want to destroy the floral aroma both the honey and the berries.
about 16-20 was the temps that i fermented with.
it is champagne yeast. the s33 was just something i thought id try i cut back the honey to 500g so it should only reach 10% or so and be a sweeter version. ill let you know later as i plan on tasting it today to see how its going

it is champagne yeast. the s33 was just something i thought id try i cut back the honey to 500g so it should only reach 10% or so and be a sweeter version. ill let you know later as i plan on tasting it today to see how its going
Cheer! cant wait to show my wife the receipe. The 10% sweeter version may be the go for her. I dont mind a good mead either.

cheers again for your help.

Actually, the sodium metabisulphate (ph, not f - not a US site...grrrr) is there to kill any wild yeasts, this step is there because people normarily source fresh juice or crush their own fruit. You can buy it from the LHBS as campden tablets. Pectic enzyme is available from a supermarket?

Linky

14%? You'd need an OG of 1.100 to get that. Thats a big BIG drink.

Do you find using the champagne yeast (EC1118) you get quite a dry finish? I am guessing with such a long ferment you are getting a FG of 1.000 or less? What sort of priming rate are you using?

This is intriguing me. Would love to make some other interesting alcoholic beverages. This sounds very very tasty.

Cheers
DrSmurto

started at 1090 down to 990 yeah i think it was right up there for a 14% brew, it was 1040 before adding the honey so theres a hint for you all. it doesnt seem dry due to the pear in the recipe just ask the boys that were at the last brew day and you cant taste the alcohol ether which makes it good.
as for the campden tabs they are actually potassium metabisulphate but they do the same shit. most normally boil to do the same thing but end up driving off the aromatic volatiles in the boil.

i just tasted the one with s33 its definately sweeter but still too young, was very yeasty.

Barls

Cheers for the quick, informative reply. Any thoughts on using frozen raspberries from the supermarket? What about a priming rate for bottling? You left it in the barrel for 4 months? How much of that time was in primary? And one more question - temp of ferment?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Cheers for the all the details, Barls.
This should be one to please SWMBO, and 5L is a managable amount.
Pete :party:

Latest posts

Back