Rainwater? Good or bad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
Hi all I have just moved into a new house and while I have town water I also a good sized water tank, is this any good for brewing? Or better to use tap water?

Are u in populated area if so may not be a good idea, pollution settles on roof and washes into tank rural areas with a correct plumbing would be fine taste it and compare with tap water

Made my best beers with tank water.

Had 70,000 Ltrs across 3 tanks on my old place, cant beet rain water. :super:

I miss that place :(

I use rainwater from the holiday house next door, no problems that I've noticed. I pour it straight into the fermenting vessel (extract brewer) without pre boiling and haven't had any infection issues etc.

if it tastes good as a water, it should taste good as beer.
i have filtered water and mains water at my house. The mains water is actually quite good where i am, so i dont bother with that much filtered water (just for additional time really). I did use it once, but didn't notice anything drastic asides from more time spent.

My best beer done with rain water was SAAZ Pale Ale

5% light crystal
10% wheat
Ale Malt

SAAZ 6%AA

SG 1055

IBU 35ish

27ish IBU @ 60m
5ish IBU @10-15m
5ish IBU at 5-0m

Yeast.

Note. Proper SAAZ is very low in AA% so you need a lot.

So, the birds & possums don't poop on your roof, the frogs don't live in the rotting leaves in the gutters and nothing washes off the roof material itself?
Wouldn't take the chance myself. If you must use, boil first.

A bit off topic but...I opened a pouch of Saaz pellets that I bought the other day and they smelt quite different to other hops I've smelt. They smelt more earthy and woody than bright and "hoppy" is that typical of Saaz? I've never smelt them before.

superstock said:
So, the birds & possums don't poop on your roof, the frogs don't live in the rotting leaves in the gutters and nothing washes off the roof material itself?
Wouldn't take the chance myself. If you must use, boil first.
I had frogs living in my tanks. :D

Thats are sure fire way of telling if the water is good

Water was always really sweet to taste....I used to go into town and think the water was make of concrete

Not so sure about that Ducati Stu. Currently fighting with about 5 green tree frogs for the dunny bowl at the moment. [emoji37]

Mozz said:
Not so sure about that Ducati Stu. Currently fighting with about 5 green tree frogs for the dunny bowl at the moment. [emoji37]
******* things they are... :D

Had them in both inside toilets....

Used to love turning the verandah lights on and then turning it off after and hour and watch the frogs have a feast of insects :)

Mozz said:
When one of my mates had a party at his house in the 70's we used to hang out close to the under house toilet and wait for the screams of horror from the girls using it for the first time as thy flushed the three resident frogs from under the rim into the bowl. Great fun and it never got old :lol:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445946999.707071.jpg

I think Chernobyl rainwater would encourage some interesting new yeast mutations! Giant cells that can ferment a brew in 6 hours and fart so much carbon dioxide you could backfill a CO2 bottle. You'd probably have to re-enforce the fermenter with carbon fibre though.

I used to use rain water, but then bought an RO unit.

When I dismantled the rain water butt and saw the crap in the bottom I was pleased that I'd switched.

And I live out in the sticks and have gutter guard fitted.

But to be fair the beer made with rain water was always very good...............

manticle said:
You've been to Mozz's loo?
I hope with permission.
I just want to know how he knew where I lived so he could take that photo

Latest posts

Back