Racking To A Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
i just read the no chill/ botulism forum and does oxgen get in to your beer when u rack into a cube i've left some beers for months in a cube just not bothering to bottle them... will these be oxygenated (i use the 10L bunnings jerry cans)

Looks like there been some debate on the subject [post="30571"]here[/post]. I can't really answer your question sorry as I don't no-chill ATM.

My first and only no chill thus far was in the cube for a good 3 weeks prior to chucking into fermentor. I reckon it is a great method, and I had no issues what so ever.

I personally dont see how much oxygen could get into the cube, others have cubed for 6+ months with no issues.

2c.

ive done 4 and a half weeks no probs, even transferred the last 5-8 litres with a jug, splashing it about cos my bloody auto syphon shat itself :angry:

I only cube for a few days - up to a week - no problems from oxygen. Methinks this is a storm in a teacup; there are much more important things to worry about.

Lots of others store them for longer periods, and I've seen plenty of fresh wort at the HBS which I presume nobody has issues with.

I've seen plenty of fresh wort at the HBS which I presume nobody has issues with.

+1 I keep coming back to this idea, if commercial manufacturers can legally sell a product using similar production/storage methods and there hasn't been any major health scares as a result then I can't see it being a problem.

Brendo

i just read the no chill/ botulism forum and does oxgen get in to your beer when u rack into a cube i've left some beers for months in a cube just not bothering to bottle them... will these be oxygenated (i use the 10L bunnings jerry cans)

so, are you asking about fermented beer, thats in a cube conditioning? Because it seems like your mention of no chill cubes has made most people replying go off in that direction...

If the beer is at room temperature and has cleared, and is well sealed, then it's basically just in a bloody big bottle. However if you keep it too long then the question of autolysis of the dead yeast on the bottom could arise. As for polyethylene being pervious to oxygen, does anyone on the forum have a dissolved oxygen meter I wonder, and do some tests with say a five litre cube of de-oxygenated boiled water then test it after a month?

Or post me your meter registered at my expense and I'll do it and send meter back in padding via registered mail?

Because this 'cubes of all descriptions leak oxygen like you wouldn't believe' stuff is really narking me. :angry:

(I can rent one in Brisbane for $590 for a month but it's not narking me that much :p )

Edit: continuation of rant: I only got up as far as A level physics and chemistry but even if Polythene is pervious to oxygen, why would the oxygen want to 'perv' in the first place? I can imagine that if there is a higher pressure on the outside of the cube to the inside then the oxygen molecules would have a reason to travel in that direction, but with pressures equal on both sides of the barrier why would O2 molecules pass through the barrier? CO2 in a PET (different plastic but same principle) is another story as there is a big pressure difference across the barrier.

yer i did mean racking fermented beer, its been there for around 3 months or so....

yer i did mean racking fermented beer, its been there for around 3 months or so....
WTF
Explain.

If the beer has fermented out and is ready to be racked off.
1. ensure everything is fully sanitised.
2.Allow absolutely minimum air to beer.

If you are transferring the beer to the cube, I suggest you get hose long enough to reach the bottom of the cube to avoid splashing.

If it is hot wort-> Just get it in there without spilling too much. :lol:

If the beer is at room temperature and has cleared, and is well sealed, then it's basically just in a bloody big bottle.
Hear, hear! +1
However if you keep it too long then the question of autolysis of the dead yeast on the bottom could arise. As for polyethylene being pervious to oxygen, does anyone on the forum have a dissolved oxygen meter I wonder, and do some tests with say a five litre cube of de-oxygenated boiled water then test it after a month?

Or post me your meter registered at my expense and I'll do it and send meter back in padding via registered mail?

Because this 'cubes of all descriptions leak oxygen like you wouldn't believe' stuff is really narking me. :angry:
Yep, me too, and its hard to believe all of it.
Please, save the equipment hire and allow me to deoxygenate a few bottles- worth and perform some very simple tests (I use DO meters, PET, glass and PE bottles just about every day at work)- not that the results will surprise me- we keep de-aired water for weeks and months in PE bottles without degradation. (Hmm, now that I think about it, we even store zero- oxygen sodium sulphite DO calibration standard in a PE bottle.)
And I don't think the air/oxygen difference will be in any way noticeable, otherwise, d'you think PE would be such a good (i.e. common) food and medicine packaging material? I think there's got to be some other reason for degradation.
+1 for what matti says- use the long hose- that'd eliminate one prime way of reoxygenating it- any agitation in the presence of air will do that to some extent (again, I see that every day with oxygen- depleted groundwaters). Hot, not so much of a problem, but if there's a large air void/pocket sealed in a container with a low- oxygen solution, then what's it going to do?? Equilibrate! We should aim to minimise it.

Latest posts

Back