Racking Into A Cube...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rday

Reaction score
I'm considering starting to rack beer and I've seen lots of mentions about racking into a cube... And I have no idea what the cube part means. What size is it? Where can I get one (LHBS? Bunnings?)? How much? Anyone have a link or a picture? Thanks!

There is a bunch of them on this page..

You can rack to a cube for secondary fermentation. I believe most people do this so they can fit more in their conditioning fridge.

Gday rday you can get these at bunnings i was at my local bunnings in tamworth and they have loads of 25liter clear storage containers (cubes) less than $20 if i remember rightly. i presume camping and disposal stoors would also have them

For kits you would be better off with the 25L variety. They make good secondary fermenters. I usually rack after all the activity has settled down in the primary fermenter and 'cold crash' the beer for about a week before bottling. Provided you rack late in the piece so there's no krausen there's no need to drill the lid to put an airlock in. I usually tighten up the lid then release it just a crack.
The cube is the big one in the background, ignore the little ones :p

four_partials.JPG

If you do end up with a yeast ring, napisan will eat it.

Nice Vets will give you empty 25 litre ones used for distilled water if you ask nicely :D

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I thought, but wanted to be sure. In particular, I wasn't sure about the need of an airlock. I can only fit one fermenter in my brewing fridge, but I think I'd be able to fit at least 2 of these, along with the fermenter.

My brewing capacity may have just taken a big step!

Back