Quick Starsan Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

a quick question here regarding starsan...

Got some in the post yesterday courtesy of craftbrewer (big thumbs up as usual). what im wondering is i mixed some up in a spray bottle with 500ml of reverse osmosis water. am i right in understanding that this should last indefinitely? am using it to spray all my gear with right before use.

cheers

Got the info i needed around 36min into that podcast.

if its made up using de-ionised mineral free water it can last for months.

I'm using reverse osmosis water, so i should be fine for a few batches, by which case i would have used it all anyway :p

cheers

how long does it last in plain tap water?

It depends on the mineral content & pH of your tap water. When I lived in a different city, the solution would only be effective for a few days before the pH rose above the 'kill' point. I have friends in this city that use tap water to mix their star san solution and it stays effective for months. Barring taking measurements, the only way to guarantee that the solution will last indefinitely is to use reverse osmosis or de-ionised water and store the solution in a sealed container.

how long does it last in plain tap water?

What i normally do is mix up a few litres with tap water (tank water in my case) in my bottling cube, give it a good shake around to sanitise that, then use my bottling cane and hose to fill all the bottles (pre cleaned of course) im going to be using for that batch with the same solution (fill a few bottles, then empty them back into the cube again).

I also have a spray bottle made up (500ml iirc) that i use reverse osmosis water in for long term storage, for spraying everything that comes in contact with my brew.

been working fine for me so far. cant reccomend the stuff enough.

Latest posts

Back