Quick Hop Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerator66

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a relatively new brewer and was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a hop question.

I recently did a Coopers APA with a Amarillo hop teabag as well.

I steeped the bag for 10mins in boiling water and then put the liquid and bag in the fermenter.

I have recently cracked a few open and had them and there seems to be a very strong after taste of the hops.

Would there be any reason for this?

Cheers,

Matt

How long did you leave the hop teabag in the fermenter for?

You'll probably find that the hoppiness will mellow over time, so maybe try aging it a bit more?

Yep I would not really expect that much hop flavour from a teabag they are only about 10g.
As others have said time will mellow out the hoppiness.

Buy a pack of Brewdog Punk IPA and see what hops are all about yum. :p

How long did you leave the hop teabag in the fermenter for?

You'll probably find that the hoppiness will mellow over time, so maybe try aging it a bit more?

I left it in there during the whole primary fermentation.

I don't mind the flavour really so that's fine just wondered how I would tone it down for next time? Just take the teabag out after a couple of days?

I left it in there during the whole primary fermentation.

I don't mind the flavour really so that's fine just wondered how I would tone it down for next time? Just take the teabag out after a couple of days?

Drop it in later instead of pulling it out early. Try say 3-4 days before you bottle.

Although if you aren't fussed on the hoppy flavour, then maybe just don't do it at all. If your just after a way to improve a kit, maybe looking at steeping some spec grain instead as it might be more to your taste.

Latest posts

Back