Quick fermenting and conditioning question. (High Gravity)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Hi,
Last friday night i banged out basic dubbel-ish /strong ale recipe consisting of;
*5.8kg JWpils
*.5kg JWcrystal
danstar belle sasion yeast 1 pack

OG. 1.074
Gravity at the moment 1.012

brewmate estimated my Fg would be 1.018

My questions are is it normal for a high gravity beer to ferment that quick? ( Ive read in posts that it can take weeks and i Thought it mine would take longer or not reach FG as my pitch rate was below recomended)
Whats an ideal time lenght to leave in the primary. Secondary?
What is the most sensible "road " I should take to get themost out of my beer

Any pointers would be appriated.

thanks
B

Good healthy pitch rate, seems like a good ferment,

Raise the temps a few degrees for a few days until stable at terminal gravity, cold crash for a week, keg

Final step, and extremely important, invite yob round to QA it ;)

yeah i agree. seems fine at that pitch rate, however high grav will benefit more than most for plenty of time in primary and in the bottle. i would recommend 3-4 weeks in primary, untouched with a healthy co2 buffer. then at least 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking. it really will improve a lot. also, if you want to bump the alcohol up, some additions of sugar syrup or dexrtose into the fermenter at this point work very well. I usually dissolve about 200g of sugar in a small vol of water, allow to cool to room temp covered and then add to the fermenter- it will re-krausen a little.
I have made a dubbel, belgian strong dark ale and strong golden ale in the last 6 months that have all got rave reviews from mates using these techniques. patience.

g

Didn't see the 1 pack bit..

BS is notorious as a chomper, don't be surprised if it keeps dropping.

Anything over 1055 can usually benefit from 2 packs or an active starter, proof will be in the pudding though.

I'm a big advocate of when it's done, package it.

Proof is in the eating of the pudding.

You give no indication of ferment temp. I've not used belle saison but I understand it can really chew a brew down (other saison yeasts of my experience certainly will) so make sure it's really done. High gravity belgians really benefit from extended cold conditioning.
Your mash efficiency must be quite good to pull those numbers from that grist (better than mine anyway). Extended boil or sugar additions anywhere? Pack rehydrated according to instruction or sprinkled in?

hey, yeah im pretty good at leaving out details.
I rehydrated the yeast as directed on packet in my semi cooled wort (35c) for 15mins
I pitched at 20c
fermented at uncontrolled 18-22c.
my mash in was 68c for 60min
mash out 77c ( i just turn the burner back on till it heats to 77c then pull the bag approx 10-15mins)
sqeeze the living daylights out of the grain bag
60min boil
crash chill (immersion chiller)

Wow 3-4 weeks in the primary. this will be hard.
This maybe a dumb question but what do yo mean by heathy co2 buffer?
Also with this extended cold conditioning, Is this in the primary or bottle you are refering to. And how cold is to cold.

Once again ive bitten of a bit more than i can chew. But I like to think by pushing myself a bit and trying new techniques ill finaly get there.
Thanks for letting me pick your brains guys.
B.

Cold condition between 0 and 4 for as long as patience allows (1 week minimum, 4 better) in the primary vessel, then package.

bronson said:
Once again ive bitten of a bit more than i can chew. But I like to think by pushing myself a bit and trying new techniques ill finaly get there.
Not so, you've successfully mashed/boiled/cooled/pitched and are asking relevant questions to make the best beer you can. How much fun is it?!

Latest posts

Back