High Final Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
Why would I all of a sudden start having fermentation problems when everything has been going fine for years?

When I was brewing in the cupboard I was regularly getting IPA's down between 1.012 and 1.0114. Then after moving to a temperature controlled fridge I was still pretty much in that range, maybe slightly higher.

But recently I am struggling to get under 1.018. This has happened with my last 3 brews, all different beers and different yeasts and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is happening or what has changed?

Yeasts in question are Danstar BRY 67 with an IPA, Danstar Nottingham with a Black IPA and and Danstar Windsor with a Pale Ale.

Ironically after this first happened I started rehydrating my yeast, which I had not ben doing. But this made no real difference. I am still finishing much higher than I have in the past without rehydration.

Any advice as to what could cause my fermentations to all of a sudden become so sluggish would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
UNT

More info needed mate, are you all grain if so mash temps and steps, kits? Partials? Extract?

Just so the more experienced fellas here can give you a better answer maybe provide what temperature you fermented at and how long they were left for and maybe the original gravity of your batches so you can get a better answer. I would be thinking if you started brewing in a temp controlled fridge, is your fridge at that temp but maybe your brew is too cold and yeast stalled.

Brewing all grain, although the black IPA was a wort kit.

Mash temps vary between 64c and 67c depending on the beer, fermentation at 18c and bottling about 14 days later.

Cheers,
UNT

First thing I would check would be mash temp, if your out by just a few deg it will make a difference, check every thing is calibrated, if your temp sensor is inline (herms-rims) ensure your probe isn't in an air pocket.

Oh and anything over 1045 gets 2 packs of yeast for 20L

Have you moved from a hydrometer to a refractometer?

Everything else being equal measurement error is a distinct possibility.

Just tested my hyrdo in water and it read 1.004, luckily I had an unused spare and it it read 1.001!

Looks like problem solved. Thanks Guys!

Interestingly comparing the 2 hydros visually the old one has a green waxy looking build up above the bottom weight where the new one is clean and clear.

I have taken a photo of them side by side but it is not entirely clear to me how to upload it?

Cheers,
UNT

Hydros.jpg

That does look strange! Glad you figured it out, those things can drive you mad!

That does look pretty weird, it looks like it's taken on liquid but that would make it read low, not high. At least the problem's been solved though. :)

My hydrometer has red wax on top of the lead balls which helps to anchor them at the bottom of the tube. Maybe yours is just green wax? The other one could just use a clear epoxy instead of wax.

Yes. My supply store said the green wax is normal, but the hydro is still way out and the other one is bang on.

The take away for me now is to always check in water before doing any gravity readings. Then, even if it is out, I can allow for it.

Cheers.
UNT

Back