Wyeast 1318 London Ale III ferment and mash temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
Im getting ready to make my first tripple batch and plan on cubing them all.

Its also the first time ive used 1318 yeast and ive read that it seems to drop out quite quickly, im thinking of mashing a little lower, say 65 or 66C to help compensate this, would this be a good idea. Its for an IPA and I would still like it have a fuller and more sweeter body.

As for ferment temps, start at 18 C then up 1 each day to finish at 23C? Ive probably always been fermenting too high as ive wanted to produce more fruity esters but ive always seemed to have a little homebrew twang that could be due to temp so im keen on going a little lower.

Will also be swirling the fermenter to try to keep the yeast in suspension.

Recipe already adjusted for no chill (60mins will go in at 40 and 20mins will go into cube)

Any pointer/tips/comments?

Thanks in advance
Dave

tripple batch
English IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 70.0
Total Grain (kg): 14.900
Total Hops (g): 300.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.36 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7 (EBC): 19.1
Bitterness (IBU): 48.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 88
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
13.000 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (87.25%)
1.200 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (8.05%)
0.700 kg Viking Wheat Malt (4.7%)

Hop Bill
----------------
100.0 g Challenger Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
200.0 g Fuggles Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (2.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with London Ale III

I'm drinking a ESB now that I used 1318. I stepmashed but it went from 1.048 to 1.012. It still has a sweetness that you probably wouldn't expect. Try a boddingtons pub ale for an idea of the ester profile. Apparently it's the same strain and trasting mine against one, I wouldn't disagree.

Mines on the right after a week in the keg. Left is the Boddingtons pub ale. Despite what they say, is nowhere near as flocculent as 1968 or 1469

IMG_20150719_135022.jpg

Ages since I used it but I like it. I can't remember anything untoward. Just mash for the body and attenuation you want, ferment around 17-19 all the way through.

Get to know the yeast yourself rather than make assumptions based on the manufacturer's blurb.

Neal32, that looks like a dam nice pint!

Manticle, ok thanks, will probably mash about 67 then, im happy if it gets down to 1012, and will keep the temp a bit lower like you suggested

I know this is an old thread, but anyway I've got an English ale in the FV currently with this yeast, it started at 1.042, and is now at 1.017 seven days later. It started at 20.5C and I raised it to 22C on day 5. It was mashed at ~66C. 4.5kg MO, 200g med crystal and 150g Caraaroma.

It seems high to me, is it simply a case of the yeast taking longer than other strains to finish? Or is it normal to finish higher? Beersmith predicts an FG of 1.011 for this recipe. Guess I could try rousing it a bit to see if it drops any more. The last batch I used it on finished 3 points higher than predicted FG as well.

Latest posts

Back