Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick fermentation

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by Kev, 7/1/19.

Tags:

1. Kev

Posted 7/1/19
    Hi, I’ve just started brewing with grain and hops instead of the canned wort in a 5ltr fermenter. The fermentation only went for 2 days and stopped bubbling. Any ideas why? Is it a temp thing? I used a blow off hose for the first day. Is that why? I will leave it there for a week still. But bubbling is done. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

2. nathanvonbeerenstein

Posted 9/1/19
    Hey Kev,

Congrats on making the move!

First and foremost, how does it taste?

Fermentation can sometimes go that quick depending on what yeast you used, but unless you’re tightly controlling the temp, my guess would be you’re possibly fermenting it a little hot or pitching a butt-tonne of yeast since it’s only 5L.
    What temp did it ferment at? Remember too, fermentation throws off heat so could be a few extra degrees in the liquid.

The blow off tube won’t affect fermentation speed/quality, at least perceptibly.

The extra time might help clean up the beer but if the beer was harmed in those first 2 days, there’s only so much time will fix any off-flavours.

Cheers

3. ABG

Posted 9/1/19
    Congrats on the move to AG Kev.

Don't worry about the bubbling. It's almost completely irrelevant. It just shows you have a pressure differential between your fermenter and the outside air because of the build up of CO2 as the yeasties do their thing. The CO2 may still be building up, but escaping elsewhere - like a poor seal on the lid of your fermenter.

The important thing to measure is your starting gravity and what your gravity reading is now. That will tell you how close to completion you are. You will want to ensure your final gravity reading is stable for around 3 days.

A few questions that will help answer you more completely:
    What yeast did you use? How much did you pitch and what was your starting gravity?
    If you only used a blow off tube for the first day, what did you use after that?
    What was the temperature of your beer in the fermentation vessel? Did you hold it steady, or did you ramp it up? How are you controlling your temeperature?

Regardless of whether you're making an AG beer, or a K&K beer, the most important part of the process is ensuring you have a healthy and uninfected yeast population to ensure proper fermentation.

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend reading How To Brew by Jonathon Palmer http://www.howtobrew.com/