"quick Enough" Disconnects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
Hey peoples,

I thought i'd share something with you that saved me a lot of money. I had planned on spending up big on polysulphone QD's but then found these neat little twist connects from bunnings for $1.20, all you need is a brass hosetail which are around 5 or $6 at mitre 10 last i saw, and there you have it, a "quick enough" disconnect for under $8! I have them all through my brewery.

Heres a pic.

Cheers,
Hopsta

edit spelling

100_0807.JPG

That looks like a great idea if you are using silicone hose...and probably a good way to compensate for the funds spent on it :)

I'll keep that in mind when I go to a full batch AG setup, thanks for sharing :beer:

PZ.

good find hopsta,,

easy on cleaning as well...
I'm upgrading to silicone hose soon, do you find the silicone on its own is a pretty snug fit on the hose barb or does it slide on and off easily. I find the blue nylex stuff I've got at the moment is pretty snug and I dont use clamps at all..

hockadays

good find hopsta,,

easy on cleaning as well...
I'm upgrading to silicone hose soon, do you find the silicone on its own is a pretty snug fit on the hose barb or does it slide on and off easily. I find the blue nylex stuff I've got at the moment is pretty snug and I dont use clamps at all..

hockadays

It is a snug fit, but i wouldnt trust it, the last thing i need is water in my pumps motor or hot wort gushing all over the floor. Best to be safe than sorry.

Neat cheap and highly functional, great idea Hopsta , great when people share there ideas

Pumpy :)

And just a follow on, I was checking out this stuff at Bunnings and Thought about using the Pope Nickel Plated hose fittings as a quick disconect but those little "finger tight" hose clamps would be even better, if saving money was the plan.
Also I went into Clark Rubber and thet sell this Parker brand clear, reinforced 12mm tubing with a red and gold id trace in it for about $5 p/m. I rang Parker and they said it was food grade/fuel grade and rated to 60 deg C. I cant see this being a problem in a brewery as it was way tougher than the Nylex Drinking Water hose in Bunnings.

STEVE

Thanks for the idea Hopsta.

For what it's worth, I use the plastic hose fittings (as you would in the garden). They're about $2 each (easy connect/disconnect), no flavour imparted into beer, stay cool (don't look cool), VERY easy to use.

Just thought I'd add that in... I know GMK uses a similar (the same?) disconnect system.

Cheers

And just a follow on, I was checking out this stuff at Bunnings and Thought about using the Pope Nickel Plated hose fittings as a quick disconect but those little "finger tight" hose clamps would be even better, if saving money was the plan.
Also I went into Clark Rubber and thet sell this Parker brand clear, reinforced 12mm tubing with a red and gold id trace in it for about $5 p/m. I rang Parker and they said it was food grade/fuel grade and rated to 60 deg C. I cant see this being a problem in a brewery as it was way tougher than the Nylex Drinking Water hose in Bunnings.

STEVE

Steve

I think that is the same as the stuff i just bought. Although it may be rated food safe, i'm a little dubious about the plastic smell i'm getting out of it. Have recirculated hot water, percarbonate, metasilicate and starsan through it (one at a time, god knows what that mixture would make :blink: ) but any water that i run through it still has a faint plastic taste. I'm gonna have another bash at cleaning it, but i'm running out of cleaners.

For anyone that cares, the tubing is labeled "M Parker 12MM WP 1.7MPa FOOD CONTACT AS2070/PETROL RESISTANT AUSTRALIA 1134905"

Cheers
Andrew

Very clever, hopsta. Currently I just use ordinary racking hose and hose tails, with no clamps. They don't fall off, but as the hose gets older air starts to seep into the line which I do not like. I think I will be chasing down some of these quick enough disconnets.

I am still building my herms system but I have used simple garden hose fittings from bunnings. THe brass ones of course. simply adapt your 1/2 inch gate valve to 3/4 inch and your away. Very cheep qd's

Steve

I think that is the same as the stuff i just bought. Although it may be rated food safe, i'm a little dubious about the plastic smell i'm getting out of it. Have recirculated hot water, percarbonate, metasilicate and starsan through it (one at a time, god knows what that mixture would make ) but any water that i run through it still has a faint plastic taste. I'm gonna have another bash at cleaning it, but i'm running out of cleaners.

For anyone that cares, the tubing is labeled "M Parker 12MM WP 1.7MPa FOOD CONTACT AS2070/PETROL RESISTANT AUSTRALIA 1134905"

Cheers
Andrew

Sorry to hear that Andrew, I think in light of these new findings I may just have to go the Silicon hose, if I can get it n Newcastle?

STEVE

Sorry to hear that Andrew, I think in light of these new findings I may just have to go the Silicon hose, if I can get it n Newcastle?

STEVE

You can get silicon tube from a variety of mail order sources to Newcastle, including two AHB sponsoring retailers whose ad's appear towards the top of this page...

For what it's worth, I use the plastic hose fittings (as you would in the garden). They're about $2 each (easy connect/disconnect), no flavour imparted into beer, stay cool (don't look cool), VERY easy to use.

Just thought I'd add that in... I know GMK uses a similar (the same?) disconnect system.

So do I.

Back