Question For Ross - Ruddles County

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinw

Reaction score
Ross,

I see from your .sig that you have made a Ruddles County clone on tap.

How close did to you get? I'd be interested in seeing a recipe for this deliciously dry & bitter drop.

Did you manage to get your hands on some Bramling Cross for it?

cheers,
Colin

Ross,

I see from your .sig that you have made a Ruddles County clone on tap.

How close did to you get? I'd be interested in seeing a recipe for this deliciously dry & bitter drop.

Did you manage to get your hands on some Bramling Cross for it?

cheers,
Colin

Col,

Didn't think it came out anything like Ruddles County to be honest, nice though - need to go & buy a bottle for a true comparison. I used a mix of pacific gem & Galena to try & emulate the Bramling cross, but got quite a big oaky taste from the PG that isn't Ruddles in style.
Pop in some time, I'd value your opinion on a few beers...

Cheers Ross

Still searching for the elusive BC....!

I take it you can't get Bramling Cross Ross?

I think Ruddles is my favourite English Bitter. I would LOVE to brew something that is comparable.

I think Ruddles is my favourite English Bitter. I would LOVE to brew something that is comparable.

Not available here as yet - But I'll be bringing this & a few other surprises back with me from UK later this year though.

Cheers Ross

Possibly half a cup of Ribena syrup in your finished beer? (note; I'm only kidding) :blink:

Warren -

Nice, I'm sure they won't last long once they are here too!

Might have to resort to Warren's option if I miss out! :p

Not available here as yet - But I'll be bringing this & a few other surprises back with me from UK later this year though.

Cheers Ross

Bit of a bummer not being able to get them. :rolleyes: I'm an unabashed fan of Ruddles County. I can see where everybody's coming from that hop character is quite unique. :)

Not 100% sure but I found Progress hops to be quite similar once they mellow out. My experience with Progress is that it's absolutely horrid for about 2 months then smooths out and seems to give similar berry/currant notes to Bramling Cross but not quite the same.

Warren -

its OTT but not too far off, does anyone have a recipe for something that come close to Adnams Sulfolk Strong bitter??? that is such a nice beer. one of my absolute faves.

Good stuff that,

I love the 500 ml bottles you can get down in St Kilda

Here is a picture of what it look like for anyone who wants to give it a try. :)

ruddles.JPG

This image is linked from the brewers choice web site. A home brew / specialy beer shop up in the Yarra Valley.
http://www.brewerschoice.net.au

I recently bought some Ruddles at the Glen Hotel over the road from work in Eight Mile Plains, and was disappointed that it now comes in conventional crown seal bottles instead of those distinctive specimen jar / milk bottle thingies.

Still tasted just as good 'though.

Best quote about Ruddles I've ever seen was on another forum: "Ye gods man, you drank Ruddles and lived to tell the tale!". I suspect the poster mustn't have liked it!

Ross - will attempt to drop by when I get the chance, or else invite you next next time we have drinks at my place. You (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to attend the BABB meeting tonight of course.

If you bring in some Bramling Cross, I'll happily take a pound of it! Its used in another one of my all-time favourite English beers - Bath Ales Barnstormer.

Nice Linky Luke. :)

Must pop in whenever I'm in Woori Yallock. The beer range looks the goods. :beerbang:

Warren -

I recently bought some Ruddles at the Glen Hotel over the road from work in Eight Mile Plains, and was disappointed that it now comes in conventional crown seal bottles instead of those distinctive specimen jar / milk bottle thingies.

Colin, did you get it from the pub or the bottle shop? I eat at the Deck a fair bit and havent seen it inside.

Cheers Ross

Ross, I reckon we might be seeing you on "Border Security" when you come back from the UK! :lol:

I started some ramblings about ruddles at the end of this thread

Not only one of my favourite bitters but a favourite beer full stop :chug:

Last time I got a bottle is wasn't in the milk bottle style just a normal english pint size crown seal bottle now, still clear though. Might have to look out for a can tonite on the way home from work.

I love this beer to death. Might add some more ramblings later on my findings trying to brew a similar beer, I will note lyles golden syrup was not the answer.

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Colin, did you get it from the pub or the bottle shop? I eat at the Deck a fair bit and havent seen it inside.
Got it at the bottle shop. Has a reasonable range of imports - I've seen Young's Chocolate Stout there, many of the Weihanstephaner beers, etc. Also the full range of James Squire beers, although the Porter seems to be in limited supply.

The Deck is strictly megaswill territory - I always drink Coopers or Toohey's Old when I go there.

Kind of related to the last post.

Anyone got a clone recipe for Youngs Chocolate Stout? I was pretty impressed with that one. Very nice and chocolatey. Even my misses liked it.

Got it at the bottle shop. Has a reasonable range of imports - I've seen Young's Chocolate Stout there, many of the Weihanstephaner beers, etc. Also the full range of James Squire beers, although the Porter seems to be in limited supply.

The Deck is strictly megaswill territory - I always drink Coopers or Toohey's Old when I go there.

I havent been in the bottle shop for ages, sounds like I will have to go in and check it out.

Its a shame about the megaswill :( I would love a nice apa with one of their pizzas... they do have some JS now and then.

MMmm..... Deck pizza would go beautifully with a couple of LCPAs.

its OTT but not too far off, does anyone have a recipe for something that come close to Adnams Sulfolk Strong bitter??? that is such a nice beer. one of my absolute faves.

The recipe I have is for Adnams Southwold Ale...

For 42L, OG 1037, 35IBU.

5.772 pale MO
103gm English crystal
34 Carafa I (or Choc malt)
17 Carafa III (or roastbarley/Black malt)
178 gm invert sugar.
41gm Challenger 60 mins
55gm Fuggles 60 mins
25gm Goldings at flame out.

cheers ross

Latest posts

Back