Question For Ross - Ruddles County

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of related to the last post.

Anyone got a clone recipe for Youngs Chocolate Stout? I was pretty impressed with that one. Very nice and chocolatey. Even my misses liked it.

Was in a recent addition of BYO - unfortunately can't help as a friend has borrowed it...

cheers Ross

Finally got hold of a Ruddles to see what you blokes are going on about and........bloody hell it is good! Strong reddish malt without being biscuity, huge hop flavour without being harsh at all, black currant character in a good way, not in a ribena way. Once you crack a clone Ross, better let me know.

Finally got hold of a Ruddles to see what you blokes are going on about and........bloody hell it is good! Strong reddish malt without being biscuity, huge hop flavour without being harsh at all, black currant character in a good way, not in a ribena way. Once you crack a clone Ross, better let me know.

The Bramling cross is the missing ingredient - next attempt will be made using them - any day now... here's hoping we get closer

cheers Ross

Tried my first today. Certainly a lovely beer, but I couldn't detect any blackcurrant aroma at all.

I'd love to brew a clone of this for sure.

Doing my 1st BX version tomorrow - Far more hops than the commercial version - why? - because I can :p
Hopefully will be a nice beer... Oh, & it's my son Josh's first AG tomorrow as well - he reckoned it was time he learn't what all the ingredients he packs every day, actually do...

Ruddles County
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 14/08/2006
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Asst Brewer: Josh
Boil Time: 80 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 86.9 %
0.17 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.7 %
0.03 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 0.7 %
30.00 gm Bramling Cross [8.60%] (20 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger [6.60%] (20 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
15.00 gm Northdown [5.80%] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.20%] (20 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
20.00 gm Bramling Cross [8.60%] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.40 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 8.7 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Fermentis #US-56) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 38.0
Est Color: 17.2 EBC

Wheres the kettle sugars, who wants to drink thick sticky beer not-to-style Botter - at least 10% of grist to get to a reasonable profile.

Scotty

Wheres the kettle sugars, who wants to drink thick sticky beer not-to-style Botter - at least 10% of grist to get to a reasonable profile.

Scotty

/// Try reading the post before making youre comments hey ;) "0.40 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar"

cheers Ross

8.7% isnt enough, you will be drinking honey with that recipe! :p

8.7% isnt enough, you will be drinking honey with that recipe! :p

LOL - Yes, Damn that malt, who want's "thick sticky beers", we better all start adding sugar to our brews :p ....

cheers Ross

Ross.

Don't really want to tell you how to suck eggs as such but just a small comment If I may? The recipe looks really nice. The only issue I'd have would be the use of the US56 yeast. Wouldn't something a little more "Anglo" be in order here? :unsure:

Your beer I guess. Don't let your young bloke guts it all. :lol:

Warren -

Ross.

Don't really want to tell you how to suck eggs as such but just a small comment If I may? The recipe looks really nice. The only issue I'd have would be the use of the US56 yeast. Wouldn't something a little more "Anglo" be in order here? :unsure:

Your beer I guess. Don't let your young bloke guts it all. :lol:

Warren -

Warren,

You're right, but surpisingly I've had some really nice results with US56 in a pomme bitter before - I don't have any liquid yeast ready, so it's either Us 56, SO4, Nottingham or Windsor. I'm not keen on using the SO4 which I find a little "bready" & the nottingham is probably even more neutral than US56 - the one I'm tempted to use is Windsor, but never having used it before, I'm not sure - Anyone here got experience of Windsor?

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,
Having used Windsor twice I woud steer clear of it. On both occassions I couldn't get the FG below 20, as a result I was left with a cloying beer that quickly found it way down the sink.
I have read similar results on other forums although Col Weaver has enjoyed some success with it.

Cheers
Paul

Wll theres always that class of conscious for many home brewers who take the 'all malt or die', then gaffaw over thier favourite beers which many have a percentage of sugar and it is somehow glossed over ....

And at the current price of sugar it is not a cheap replacement...

Scotty

I tried Windsor and was not impressed :( , but I did mix it with Nottingham next time and made a fine beer which was not neutral like Nottingham with just a touch of Bannana which faded over time.

So has anyone mastered a Ruddles clone? I'm dying to get a brew close to it.

Ross,

I'm just about to try your recipe being a Ruddles admirer. Ordered the Bramling Cross, Challenger and Northdown (thanks for the usual top quality service).

I would like to know how yours turned out and whether you have changed the recipe as a result. Also curious as to why no bittering?

Cheers!

Ross,

I'm just about to try your recipe being a Ruddles admirer. Ordered the Bramling Cross, Challenger and Northdown (thanks for the usual top quality service).

I would like to know how yours turned out and whether you have changed the recipe as a result. Also curious as to why no bittering?

Cheers!

Too long ago for an accurate review. From memory it wasn't bad, but still lacked the intense aroma of RC. My follow up attempt finished with all BX & was much better. I also used Dark crystal the second time, but would probably go caraaroma if i did it again, as still lacked the colour & caramel notes of RC.
Nice drop though :)

cheers Ross

Back