Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Just got back to TSV from Narrabri)

Thanks especially to MM for putting up with me at his place. Hope I didn't snore too loud!

Thanks also to everyone involved in the comp. It was really well run, with no obvious slip-ups, and all
this on the first time of running a comp on this scale. I think Adrian can have a well deserved break now.
Yes, Chad, its a hard slog writing all those comments down for the brewers. I still cannot feel the tip of my thumb.
But it comes with the territory.

I'd also like to thank the entrants in the Belgian, French, Sour category, which I judged. I was very impressed with
the overall quality of entries, which shows QLD brewers are certainly up there with the best!

Hope to see you all next year, if not at ANHC!

Berp.

Congrats Andrew!

This in the local paper!

Competitors headed off by Clark's brew
September 23, 2008 By Letea Cavander
ANDREW Clark's obsession with beer has catapulted him to amateur beer brewing stardom.
The beer maker walked away with top honours at the inaugural Queensland State Homebrew Championships, held at Brisbane at the weekend, and he was not even going to enter.
"I was shocked and very pleased," he said.
"I got a nice first prize a trip to Melbourne for the inaugural beer brewers' conference." The champion brewer also won the chance to produce one of his recipes commercially. An organiser encouraged the brewer of 25 years to compete and Mr Clark entered five beers in the Queensland championships.
He won the champion brewer title after taking out first place in two sections of the competition and coming second in another section.
Although beer has played the poor country cousin to wine consumerism for many years, Mr Clark said the tide of the beer connoisseur is on the rise.
"Beer is the new wine," Mr Clarke said.
"Walk through Dan Murphy's and see how many hundreds of different beers are available from all around the world."
And the brewer's comfortable bar in his Walkervale home reflects everything that is good about the amber ale, with the whole family involved in Mr Clark's hobby-turned-obsession at some point or another.
The bar was built during an Easter long weekend by the beer enthusiast and his son while beer labels from around the world, sent from England by Mr Clark's mother, are framed and line the back walls.
Mr Clark's father-in-law died a few months ago, but his photograph takes pride of place at the top of the bar where he overlooks the place he often enjoyed a cold ale with his family. And a couple of months after the bar was built seven years ago, a hole in the wall appeared that was soon fitted out with taps attached to kegs storing the brewer's special beers.
Mr Clark's award-winning home brew makes some commercial beers taste like battery acid and the ale and lagers are made from grains the brewer crushes himself.
In garage turned beer laboratory this keen scientist carefully monitors temperature, water quality and the fermentation process in his pursuit of ale perfection.
"I'm glad he's got a hobby and he can do it at home he's always tinkering in the shed," Mr Clark's wife said.
Mr Clark said it now takes him about three hours to brew beer and two weeks "before it's drinkable".

Cheers,
Bud

Brewers,

Those of you that finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any catergory are entitled to enter a beer from that catergory in the National Finals (www.aabc.org.au)
It does not have to be the same beer or even the same style, but it must be from the placed catergory.
We will be offering free delivery to all entrants that qualified. All you need to do is deliver your bottles (labelled with entry fees) to
CraftBrewer 3285/3 Logan Road, Underwood. Qld 4119 by close of business Saturday 4th October, to give us time to pack & deliver before the following weekends cut off in Melbourne. Otherwise send your entries direct to Grain & Grape in Melbourne.

Cheers Ross

Brewers,

Score sheets & free bottle openers mailed today.
Prizes for placings will be despatched shortly.

Cheers Ross

Scoresheets arrived today, surprise surprise most of the judges picked the flaws :lol: Happy with the feedback thanks to all who judged.

just found out why my Irishred and my Rauchbier did so crappy...
I put the wrong labels on the bottles.. :lol: :( Dont know wether to laugh or cry..
feedback on both beers stated great beers but wrong styles...
Irishred was smokey out of style...
Rauchbier was lacking smokeyness out of style...

Sqyre... :rolleyes:

Congrats Andrew!

This in the local paper!

Like to say I might have had a little hand in that story ;) Sent an email off to the editor the day results were announced on here :icon_cheers: . Good that they did something.

Got my scoresheets back today and some good info, didn't get my certificate though for third place in dark lagers. Do the certs come later anyone know?

hockadays, Certificates will come with the prizes shortly, we are just finalising getting everything together.

Why won't my 'credit card opener' fit in my wallet?

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0434.JPG

Hello all,

Well, I thought Id post a pic of my lucky entry prize for all to see, it arrived today, thanks to all involved.

It was also good to see the feedback on my entry and considering it was just an All Extract Brew, I thought the judges comments were very helpful.

Cheers again... :party:

Like to say I might have had a little hand in that story ;) Sent an email off to the editor the day results were announced on here :icon_cheers: . Good that they did something.

Thanks Budwiser, my fame precedes me :lol:

Wakkatoo, so your the culprit, I've been slinging blame left and right for that "leak to the press", still, nice to have a few moments of glory.
Clean brewer, what will you be filling it with? And congrats for the win.

cheers
Andrew

Wakkatoo, so your the culprit, I've been slinging blame left and right for that "leak to the press", still, nice to have a few moments of glory.

cheers
Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Not to sure yet, still not at that AG point but will have to just do something All Extract, maybe ill do my Irish Red Ale that I entered and tweak it a bit with what feedback I got off the judges...

Thanks for Congrats, same to you mate, if I could just ask if you ever had a Brewday on a Monday?? Could you PM me so I could come up and have a look in????????

Cheers

Hey Andrew,

Not to sure yet, still not at that AG point but will have to just do something All Extract, maybe ill do my Irish Red Ale that I entered and tweak it a bit with what feedback I got off the judges...

Thanks for Congrats, same to you mate, if I could just ask if you ever had a Brewday on a Monday?? Could you PM me so I could come up and have a look in????????

Cheers
Haven't had a Monday brewday yet, but that's not to say it couldn't happen, after all I did one today. I'll pm you if my schedule becomes open on a monday. Do you work weekends?

Andrew

Haven't had a Monday brewday yet, but that's not to say it couldn't happen, after all I did one today. I'll pm you if my schedule becomes open on a monday. Do you work weekends?

Andrew

That would be great, and unfortunately Yes I do work weekends, usually I dont work Sundays but since I havnt been able to get a new staff member ive been working sundays aswell. :angry:

And if I am not working on a Sunday, I am usually looking after my 2 kids(dads day) while my lovely partner goes to work.. Never work in a family business(there is no rest)...

Even a day during the week, if I have some notice, I can get the time off if we dont have a busy day or na function on..

Cheers

cheers
Andrew

Andrew, I've contacted Rory Gibson (Courier Mail) with the results but he's on hol's until early October. He might want to contact you for a story - any problem if I pass on your e-mail contact? Lonte.

Andrew, I've contacted Rory Gibson (Courier Mail) with the results but he's on hol's until early October. He might want to contact you for a story - any problem if I pass on your e-mail contact? Lonte.

Sure, not a problem, so long as he doesn't want to sit here and sample all my brews like the last lot of journos :lol: .

Andrew

Latest posts

Back