Qld Xmas Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz what happened to the bat avatar? its just not the same without it :(

It the Xmas thing happening :beer:

Batz

It the Xmas thing happening :beer:

Batz

Batz-Santasml.jpg

Santa Batz Avatar!

Have you posted the recipe Pat?

I'll chuck it up (metaphorically speaking) in the QLD recipe thread.* It's a grain bill from AndrewQLD with a hop schedule from Bizarre. Hopefully you, Batz, or Greg can work out how to balance it. I hear rumours that Greg's beer is tops.

*Quite dissapointed that Moose didn't start a, 'QLD Ale Recipe,' thread and a, 'QLD Lager Recipe,' thread :p

Wildayeasts Skunk Fart Ale

This was Wildayeast's first AG done on my equipment (a real plus!) and amongst about 15 drunk brewers offering advice (a real minus!) at Brad's place - lol.

Obviously I'm not the best person to write on this style as, like Matty, I only start to enjoy these bitter beers towards the last mouthfuls. I couldn't find any brewing errors apart from clarity. Maybe some racking and cold-conditioning would improve the clarity a little Brian though clarity has never detracted me from a beer.

I'll be really interested to see what the hopheads say as I certainly started to quite enjoy it towards the end just like Jye and Browndog's beers of the last swap. I suspect that Brian has done an excellent job here.

Oops made a blue there, the recipe did indeed contain perle, not chinook. Sorry Mike.

Don't understand how I got it so wrong, really difficult to confuse those two. Use Perle a lot here, but only ever for bittering and in small amounts to get a bitterness that wont turn your ears backwards. For bittering in most beers I use 10g of perle and then adjust with NB for the required BU. Did you use the Perle as flavour/aroma additions BD?

Aussie Claret's American Brown

I'll add my name to those praising this beer. Great colour, good body. Nice fruity hop flavours against a backdrop of malt. Most of the american browns I'd had before had more of a nut flavour and theme, rather than the hops that come through more on this one and I liked the difference.

Old Dog's Pale Ale

Clarity on this one was excellent, a pale golden beer.

The mouthfeel was again all about those fruity hops. While I felt this one lacked some of the malt background of other pales ales tried on this swap I didn't see that as a defect. The hop flavour worked so well it didn't matter.

I could have drunk this beer all day.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the nice comments, I will post the recipe for the brown ale when I get home tonight.
I picked up my swap case from Pats yesterday (thanks) and gingerly put all the bottles in the fridge (the oatmeal stout bottle bomb is wrapped in a towel and safety blanket) looking forward to trying that one.

I have only tasted one of the case being Ross's Spalt Alt and wow, very very nice. I'll be after the recipe ross please.

Poured with a creamy coloured head that lasted half way down the glass, not bad for a force carbed beer. The aroma was fantastic a real toasted / roasted rich aroma, colour was a deep red brown and crystal clear. The maltiness and bitterness perfectly balanced, wasn't overly aromatic with the hops just as a good alt should be.
My wife also (being German) really enjoyed this beer. Shame she got her mitts on it.

Cheers
AC

Don't understand how I got it so wrong, really difficult to confuse those two. Use Perle a lot here, but only ever for bittering and in small amounts to get a bitterness that wont turn your ears backwards. For bittering in most beers I use 10g of perle and then adjust with NB for the required BU. Did you use the Perle as flavour/aroma additions BD?

30G of perle for bittering ST, and some magnum and cascade for flavour/aroma. The recipe is up on the the recipe thread, take a look.

cheers

BD

30G of perle for bittering ST, and some magnum and cascade for flavour/aroma. The recipe is up on the the recipe thread, take a look.

cheers

BD

I've been up and down that recipe list, can't find an APA from you anywhere, just the IPA using POR. Maybe I'm filtering the list incorrectly of something.

Enjoyed another couple last night:

Snows Black Xmas Beer: At first I thought the smoked did not work in this beer Snow, but then as it warmed up, well can I have the recipe. Thought it was a really nice schwarzer so well balanced and was sorry there wasn't another bottle.

Glad you liked it Screwtop! There's actually no smoke malt in this one - you might be thinking of the rauchbier I had on the night. Recipe is in the recipe database for you to look at.

Cheers - Snow

Ross's Spalt Alt
This was a beautiful beer. gorgeous colour, fine creamy head, deep malty aroma with a hint of chocolate and spice. Flavours are very complex with notes of mocha coffee and spice. A well crafted beer, Ross and a pleasure to drink. Can't wait to try my hand at this style!

Hoops's Oatmeal stout
Delicious stout. very straightforward, but very drinkable. Nice silky mouthfeel and good roasty flavours. A little sweet for my liking, but a good representation of the style. Well done mate!

Number 26
Very cloudy, but a delicious beer! Great APA with citrussy flavours (amarillo?) and good malt backbone. Head died very quickly, but I was using a plastic mug (on a boat), so probably my fault. Good beer all round!

Had a very big weekend, so more reviews to come tonight!

Cheers - Snow

Screwtops Weihenstephaner Hefe Weizen :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Mate, I cant describe how bloody nice this weizen was. So refreshing, fruity, I dunno, but it was amazing. I rolled the bottle as instructed. Great head and carbonation, straw to golden hazy colour, just like the hefe's that Ive had before.

Screwtop, can I have the recipe. Im into that one!. :party:

Brad

Glad you liked it Screwtop! There's actually no smoke malt in this one - you might be thinking of the rauchbier I had on the night. Recipe is in the recipe database for you to look at.

Cheers - Snow

There's a bloody conspiracy going on, you and Browndog I know it. That or I had totally lost my palate that night. What could I have had before the beer to knock it out so far, beats me. That Schwarzer definitely tasted like it had smoked malt in it, even the wife thought so. Great beer anyway Snow, as was the Raucher, thought it had just the right subtle level of smokiness about it.

Screwtops Weihenstephaner Hefe Weizen :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Mate, I cant describe how bloody nice this weizen was. So refreshing, fruity, I dunno, but it was amazing. I rolled the bottle as instructed. Great head and carbonation, straw to golden hazy colour, just like the hefe's that Ive had before.

Screwtop, can I have the recipe. Im into that one!.

Brad

Really happy you enjoyed it Brad, love this one myself, plenty of banana and clove, the Weihenstephaner yeast makes it a stand out. Perfect timing it needs to be enjoyed young cold and highly carb'd. Will post the recipe for you.

Screwtops Weihenstephaner Hefe Weizen

Beautiful beer Screwtop - Mine was a little undercarbed but didn't detract from a great beer. Plenty of bubblegum, clove & subtle banana in mine - loved it :super: Maybe Batz will send me his B)

Cheers Ross

Batz - Scottish Ale

Had this one last the other night & think I poured it a bit cold - It poured beautifully, with a lovely head, probably the best presented beer so far. Intial taste though was a little dissapointing, just didn't do it for me; so left it in the glass for a bit while watching telly - what a difference though once it had warmed up a bit - the beer came alive & certainly had the grin factor we all seek. A style I've never made & don't know too much about, but is certainly on the "to brew" list after this one. A really tasty beer Batz, can't remember now the flavours I was getting (should have made notes), but it was beautifully complex & balanced - just posted the above to make sure others don't serve too cold - this is definately one for enjoying at British ale temps :beer:

cheers Ross

Pistol Patch 10am Lager
Sorry but this was a very very bland beer, slightly hazy no real aroma or body. Mate this isn't one of your better beers.

Old Dog APA
A very nice beer , I know this is one of your staple beer and is nice easy drinking beer. Subtle Cascade aroma and some lingering bitterness. This is a great session beer. A slight haze and the head didn't last long probably due to being force carbed. Personally I think it could have had a little more maltiness/body, but that is my perference. Good Job.

VJVal APA
Golden colour but quite hazy/cloudy, a fruity nose with light hop flavour more malty than hoppy. Personally I think it could have a little more hop aroma and flavour for the style. An easy drinking beer with a long last head and lacing down the glass. Nice beer.

AC

Cheers Ross
And know you can't have Screwys Weihenstephaner Hefe Weizen (that's a big word for wheat beer hey?)
Believe it or not I am having this baby tonight :party:

Batz

PistolPatch - Northern German Pilsner

As I've said before I'm not a big lager fan & this was a typical Euro lager to me. Mine had plenty of carbonation but didn't hold a head & the taste wasn't dry enough for my idea of a pilsner - Saying that there were no off flavours & would have gone down a treat on a hot day, but following Screwtops weizen late in the evening as it did, it was always going to be up against it.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back