QDs bigger ID than pinlock posts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
My dad scored some Coca Cola kegs so I sent him up some pinlocks QDs and other bits and pieces so he could start using them. However when he puts the QD on the post it leaks like a seive.

He said the diameter of the post is 14.2 mm. The diameter of the O ring on the post is 16.5mm and the internal diameter of the QD is 17mm. So a gap of .5mm which is obviously where the leak is.

Hes going to try some larger O rings but does that all sound right? Im assuming there arent two different sized pin lock QDs or posts geting around is there?

Could someone who has pinlock kegs please check their measurements and let me know if theyre the same?

Cheers gents

Here is what they look like.

IMG_0410.JPG

I'm think there are 2 sizes of pin locks.
Hopefully someone can confirm dimensions and where to buy?

Copy & paste from Wikipedia saves remembering\typing time. :)

The connectors which attach to the ports come in two varieties: pin-lock and ball-lock, and they are not interchangeable. Historically, pin-lock kegs were used primarily by the Coca-Cola company, while ball-lock kegs were used primarily by Pepsi. On a pin-lock keg, there are metal posts (pins) extending horizontally from around the port. When the connector is attached, these pins hold it in place. The "gas-in" port has two pins, while the "liquid-out" has three, making it impossible to accidentally attach the hoses backwards (which would result in carbon dioxide bubbling up through the drink, but no drink being dispensed). Ball-lock kegs have ridges in the ports, which are gripped by small metal balls in the connectors. Both types of kegs are fairly easy to find, though ball-lock seem to be more common.

Someone asked this exact question a few days ago, turned out he had the Mytton Rod (sp?) type kegs & the posts are a different size. He had to get different QD's IIRC

breakbeer said:
Someone asked this exact question a few days ago, turned out he had the Mytton Rod (sp?) type kegs & the posts are a different size. He had to get different QD's IIRC
Cheers mate, just searched Mytton rod kegs and have read what your saying. Will have to see if he can get Qds for them or swap them over for ball lock.

Wholly shit there pinlock Qds are $45.50 each.
I just phoned stainless tanks and one thing the guy suggested is to use plumbing or air compressor fittings. Not a quick disconnect but as he said if you dont need to disconnect it until youve emptied the keg its a cheaper option.

Latest posts

Back