How to: Fit standard QD's to Mytton rod keg posts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I posted this thread yesterday regarding my dad buying some kegs that he couldn't get the QD's to fit without leaking.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/74835-qds-bigger-id-than-pinlock-posts/

I found out its because they were Mytton Rod kegs that have smaller posts and the standard pinlock QDs are too big. Also found out that the QDs that do fit these posts are $45.50 each. Or you can convert them to ball lock for $27.50 per post. Both expensive options and obviously why these kegs are often for sale cheap.

Told my dad the bad news but being the resourceful person he is, he set about trying to fix the problem.

What he did was used a syringe he had that was 17.2mm OD. The QD is 17mm so a nice tight fit.
He removed the circlip and the bottom part of the QD that clips onto the pins on the post. Then cut the syringe end off and slid this into the QD all the way to the end and trimmed off the part sticking out flush. All up the sleeve was around 17mm long.

He tested this with air into his keg at 80 PSI and it didnt leak one bit and held pressure overnight, so should be fine at standard gassing and serving pressures.

Anyway I hope this helps others that may have these kegs.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back