Put Yeast In At 32c !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoohaaman....went through why i thought i shoud do this early in the thread...will not do again....

Probably best, 32c will kill most yeast.Please feel free to revisit when contemplating farmhouse ales,saisons ect.

Probably best, 32c will kill most yeast.Please feel free to revisit when contemplating farmhouse ales,saisons ect.

White & Zainasheff (2010, Yeast; the practical guide to beer fermentation, p147) recommend rehydrating dry yeast in water that is between 35-41degC suggesting that most yeast won't die at 31degC.

They suggest this because "warmth is critical to the cell during the first moments of reconstituting its fragile cell membrane." At cold temperatures more of the cell's internal material leaches out of the relatively delicate cell membrane. Then slowly bring the reconstituted yeast back to within 8degC of your wort temp before pitching.

That said, I do usually just pitch dry yeast on top of 20-25degC wort (against White & Zainasheff's recommendations) - pitch enough and it's all cool (for my batches anyway).

Like I say, there's probably no problems with your batch :)

Josh I did much worse. First brew (Coopers K&K) I pitched at +40C (will never know the exact temp, was off the scale). What looks to have happened in hindsight is the yeast sat on top of the foam kicked up from adding the water to the fermenter just long enough for me to realise I'd not read the instructions properly and to hurriedly attempt to crash chill 23L of wort.
Long story short, after 2 months bottle conditioning did a comparison test with a mate who used the exact same kit (and followed the 'instructions') and some willing judges gave mine the thumbs up (and I thought it didn't taste half bad myself).
All other potential impacting factors on the end result aside , I had some beginners luck and won't be making that mistake again anytime soon but there's a happy ending for you... :ph34r:

Back