Purists Vs Add-junks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once produced a wit so bland I added about half a bottle of Grenadine to the keg.

Would purists be any less affronted if I had bought and seeded a bucketful of Pomegranate's and racked onto them?

I figured since the monks don't mind using hop extract in their highly prized ales, it was good enough for me to use a fruit concentrate.

To be honest, 'purists' of that nature seem pretty thin on the ground round here.

Brad - check Chappo's aussie lager in DB. Uses Jasmine rice and is a winner.
Cheers
BBB

I will, thanks BBB

Simple recipe for 50 litres

9kg Galaxy - Barrett Burston
1 kg Jasmine rice
Filtered water preferably 50% RO.

You can substitute 1Kg of Galaxy for 1Kg of Carapils for more body or 1Kg of Maris Otter for a slightly maltier finish. I prefer the Maris Otter.

Cook the rice thoroughly.Conditioning the malt before crushing is recommended to help reduce stuck runoff and reduce possible astringency.

Add the cooked rice to the mash and mash for 90 minutes - 63C. The rice grains get smaller and smaller as the enzymes break down the starch. Sparge. Boil for 60 minutes, hop to about 14ibu, too much more and the hops will overshadow the fragrance of the Jasmine rice. Use something like NZ Hallertau aroma. Adding hops very late in the boil will add a grassy taste, very noticable in a light lager.

I use Wyeast 2042 Danish yeast. It is very neutral and very forgiving and yields a crisp, clean lager. Ferment 9-10C for 10 days, raise temp to 18C until terminal gravity, drop back to 10C and then reduce 1C per day until 2C. Hold for a few days then drop to -2C, hold for 3 days and keg and force carbonate. total time is 35 days.
Enjoy.

Steve

Impressive! Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

Cheers,

Brad

Belgian beers are adjunct riddled, high alcohol beers that reak of horrible esters/phenolics.

May as well mash in a pillowcase, not chill your wort and then pitch a dry weizen yeast weeks later. *Shudders*

May as well mash in a pillowcase, not chill your wort and then pitch a dry weizen yeast weeks later. *Shudders*
25177463.jpg

Belgian beers are adjunct riddled, high alcohol beers that reak of horrible esters/phenolics.

You're right.

I've like to mix my Rochefort 10 with diet lemonade.

I find the aspartame really takes the edge off the phenolics.

Gold!!!

One thing I love about the belgians, they don't give a **** about rules!!. Neither should homebrewers

Gold!!!

One thing I love about the belgians, they don't give a **** about rules!!. Neither should homebrewers

Rules of Lent are why they add their whole meal into the beer. Monktastic!

I have a keg of porter done with coopers bottle yeast which has sat in my fridge for some months, it is not infected or anything, but it is just not tasty enough for me to want to drink it above the other choices I have. I re-tapped it the other day and it has the start of oxidation showing, and that is verging on improvement. I have totally resigned to adding American oak. Manticle, your whiskey/whisky thing has me keen - I can oakify some cheaper spirits for me and I can improve on my beer some. I might do it with some Rocking Angel or even Buffalo Trace.

I am really shitty that the cumquats which have been ripe on my tree since the start of winter are just a little too old to add to a beer, they are starting to break down a little and don't taste so good. I was stupid not to pick and freeze them. I wanted to put them in a saison.

Oh, but what would I know, I love obviously infected beers... yum.

I have a keg of porter done with coopers bottle yeast which has sat in my fridge for some months, it is not infected or anything, but it is just not tasty enough for me to want to drink it above the other choices I have. I re-tapped it the other day and it has the start of oxidation showing, and that is verging on improvement. I have totally resigned to adding American oak. Manticle, your whiskey/whisky thing has me keen - I can oakify some cheaper spirits for me and I can improve on my beer some. I might do it with some Rocking Angel or even Buffalo Trace.

I am really shitty that the cumquats which have been ripe on my tree since the start of winter are just a little too old to add to a beer, they are starting to break down a little and don't taste so good. I was stupid not to pick and freeze them. I wanted to put them in a saison.

Oh, but what would I know, I love obviously infected beers... yum.

If the cumquats aren't too far gone you could try soaking them in brandy. We recently unearthed a jar of brandied cumquats that had been in the pantry for around 6 years. The brandy has become the consistency of syrup and the flavour is utterly incredible. Have used almost all of it making cocktails (Brandy Sidecars), but when we get some more cumquats (the trees around here fruit at strange times... sporadically almost all year round) I'll be doing a large batch and conjuring up a beer to use the resulting potion in...

To try and keep this post slightly on the original topic, I obviously agree with the sentiments of others that adjuncts are a perfectly valid tool in any brewer's arsenal. It's easy to see how the puritanical approach of using nothing other than malted barley as your sugar source emerged against the backdrop of the "bleak" early days of homebrewing, where it was common to use equal parts (or sometimes more) cane/corn sugar to malt, purely for the reason that it was cheaper and gets you equally as pissed. In today's context I think it's well understood amongst "enthusiast" homebrewers that adjuncts have their place in brewing when used with a little thought.

In the end it just comes down to intent, and perhaps the only reason the puritanical approach survives at all today is for those "serious" homebrewers to feed their own insecurities of being mistaken for an "amateur"...

Do you recall spiking the brandy with a fair serve of dissolved sugar, along with the cumquats? My (limited) exposure to the pickled fruits has presented a very tart liqor, when steeped in brandy.

Do you recall spiking the brandy with a fair serve of dissolved sugar, along with the cumquats? My (limited) exposure to the pickled fruits has presented a very tart liqor, when steeped in brandy.

They were given to us as a gift, but you could be quite right about the sugar. The liquid and the preserved fruits are extremely mellow in flavour though - probably due to being aged for so long.

Latest posts

Back