Purists Vs Add-junks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT:

Actually many of my favourites are Islays - I just don't like peat in beer (still enjoy smoke in beer, just not peat smoke).

+1 for the Lagavulin, I dont like laphroig and thought all Islay was the same, Caol Ila is more subtle as a Islay malt but the Lagavulin was lovely.
Its my present to myself for Christmas. Wrong weather but stuff it.

If anyones into woodys try Auchentoshan Three Wood. My local dans always seems to have a three 50ml auchentoshan sampler pack for $22 under the counter and the three wood is full of dark fruit characters. lovely.

Back to Original Post I dont have any issue with Adjuncts in the right purpose. I dont really see the point of bumping the alcohol just for alcohol, ie sugar to take my beglian from 6% to 7.5%. If it adds flavour or complexity then thats another matter. On the other hand some beers require adjunct to make lighter styles like a asian rice lager. its horses for courses.

Yeahm I recall reading the following just a couple of days ago and it gave me the screaming shits:

"Next time, don't use it or any other additive. You Really don't need it, beer will clear by itself and be a more natural product. In My Opinion don't use them. Malt, Hops Water Yeast = that's enough"

Good thread, OP. Hopefully we can get blokes like this to open their minds a little bit.

I presume you're not talking about me not using polyclar in my brews.

To be clear, I've never advised anyone else against using it. It's another bloke, yes?

I presume you're not talking about me not using polyclar in my brews.

To be clear, I've never advised anyone else against using it. It's another bloke, yes?
Not at all. I'm not about to have a random dig at you. Get more self-confidence, stupid.

It was a direct quote from OP.

I'm a sucker for clarification and somewhat of a paranoid sook from time to time.

i dont filter I dont clear **** it beer gives you the shits cloudy but its still nice if you brew it right! and your guts get used to the yeast explosions!!!! haha

beer gives you the shits cloudy? are you sure?

you might have an intolerance or something.

Yeahm I recall reading the following just a couple of days ago and it gave me the screaming shits:

"Next time, don't use it or any other additive. You Really don't need it, beer will clear by itself and be a more natural product. In My Opinion don't use them. Malt, Hops Water Yeast = that's enough"

Good thread, OP. Hopefully we can get blokes like this to open their minds a little bit.

That was the first thing I noticed when I saw this topic earlier. It confused the hell out of me so I just left quietly.

Finings aren't adjuncts.
Did you read the bit at the end or are you doing that thing that makes people hate you?

Cos that thing is really cool. Keep doing that.

Going back quite a few years when I was still 'kit n kilo' I was told about adding the ol kilo of sugar being soo bad, and the only addition should be malt type products. I think a lot of kit brewers are told this, hence the idea adjuncts are bad news. These days I've got polenta, white sugar and rice all in my brew area.

QldKev

Yes, I was specifically referring to chemical additions not other ingredients. There is a distinct difference.

I'll direct you attention towards your final statement there. When you are words on a screen and offering advice you should choose those words carefully.

Going back quite a few years when I was still 'kit n kilo' I was told about adding the ol kilo of sugar being soo bad, and the only addition should be malt type products. I think a lot of kit brewers are told this, hence the idea adjuncts are bad news. These days I've got polenta, white sugar and rice all in my brew area.
QldKev
That was my road into Puritanical Maltism. Thou shalt not adjunct,. Going to all the trouble of making all grain beer, so why put anything else in.
I've since had my eyes opened to the lurid ways of adding other ingredients and I like it.
I/m still shy about table sugar in general unless there is some compelling reason but I'm open to beer as cooking/the only ingredient restrictions are your own.
Splitting batches so you can do comparisons/try 'risky' ingredients is the way to go.

FWIW I dearly wish I had an expensive whisky habit. slinte

OT: :lol: great topic...has gone from "beer beer" vs "experimental beer" to whiskey to shit :lol:

Back on topic...

I love experimental beers and love MAKING experimental beers!! Coffee, spices, different sugars! LOVE IT!! I love tasting a beer and going "What the hell is that!!"

Yes, I was specifically referring to chemical additions not other ingredients. There is a distinct difference.

No you weren't. Your post the other day stated:

Malt, Hops Water Yeast = that's enough

Now youre saying:

I've never thought like that and consider any self imposed restrictions as adding false ceiling to home brewing.

That's the inconsistency that is being pointed out.

Could you please post your recipe Steve? I love the fragrance from Jasmine when cooking it :)

Simple recipe for 50 litres

9kg Galaxy - Barrett Burston
1 kg Jasmine rice
Filtered water preferably 50% RO.

You can substitute 1Kg of Galaxy for 1Kg of Carapils for more body or 1Kg of Maris Otter for a slightly maltier finish. I prefer the Maris Otter.

Cook the rice thoroughly.Conditioning the malt before crushing is recommended to help reduce stuck runoff and reduce possible astringency.

Add the cooked rice to the mash and mash for 90 minutes - 63C. The rice grains get smaller and smaller as the enzymes break down the starch. Sparge. Boil for 60 minutes, hop to about 14ibu, too much more and the hops will overshadow the fragrance of the Jasmine rice. Use something like NZ Hallertau aroma. Adding hops very late in the boil will add a grassy taste, very noticable in a light lager.

I use Wyeast 2042 Danish yeast. It is very neutral and very forgiving and yields a crisp, clean lager. Ferment 9-10C for 10 days, raise temp to 18C until terminal gravity, drop back to 10C and then reduce 1C per day until 2C. Hold for a few days then drop to -2C, hold for 3 days and keg and force carbonate. total time is 35 days.
Enjoy.

Steve

I quite often add 250 to 500 grams of dextrose to my brews, depending on the style. Just to dry it out a little. I find my brews are a little "sticky" in the mouth without it.

At the end of the day, I brew because I want to make something I can't buy, so that usually requires additions that purists may frown upon.

Made a breakfast stout a few months ago with coffee, maple syrup, and vanilla beans!

Back