Purging Air From Filters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdfarrell

Reaction score
Have just purchased a filter setup from one of the site sponsors. I also purchased all the recommended addons.

I have been scouring the forums for advice on how to use it. I plan to filter straight from primary fermenter into a keg after crash chilling for a few days via gravity.

There is a lot of talk about purging air from the filter. I understand why it should be done but I cannot find any detailed info on how people do it?

Any one care to share their thoughts ?

Hi BC. I connect everything up, from the keg all the way up to the filter, don't connect to the fermenter just yet. I then use a CO2 line on the gas in valve of the keg and flush CO2 through the set up until I can smell CO2 coming out of the inlet on the filter. I then disconnect the CO2 and connect the filter to the pump and fermenter and away I go. It's pretty easy to do it this way, just don't create pressure in the system, just let it flow through. Good luck!

Hi BC. I connect everything up, from the keg all the way up to the filter, don't connect to the fermenter just yet. I then use a CO2 line on the gas in valve of the keg and flush CO2 through the set up until I can smell CO2 coming out of the inlet on the filter. I then disconnect the CO2 and connect the filter to the pump and fermenter and away I go. It's pretty easy to do it this way, just don't create pressure in the system, just let it flow through. Good luck!

Sounds pretty straight forward. Thanks Razz

1. Assemble clean filter into clean housing and attach all hoses/lines/tubing.
2. Fill with sanitiser until all air is expelled and coming out the Out hose/line/tube.
3. Push the sanitiser out with CO2.

If you fill your kegs (as I do) via the Beer Out post, you can push your sanitiser into the keg. If you have 18 or so litres of sanitiser, you can also ensure your keg is purged of oxygen as well.

The way I do it is like this;
- Sanitize the keg with a few littes of starsan mix and then push out the solution with co2, effectively purging the keg of o2.
- Then attach the fully assembled and sanitized filter to the keg via the beer out post.
This purges o2 from the filter line and assembly.

I have tried running the sanitizer through the filter but I was uncomfortable with the amount of sanatiser the filter absorbed. So now only purge it with the gas.

Latest posts

Back