Purchasing 50l Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nathan_madness said:
How much grain can you fit in the 50l model?
How much grain would you like to fit in a 50lt BM?

you can fit a lot in - but ideally you need to keep it within the malt pipe for it to work well
I put 13kg in a few weeks ago on my 4th brew and was a little worried but it went well.

nathan_madness said:
I was just wondering? Lets say would it fit 15kg.
Not easily, what are you planning on brewing with 15kg of grain?

A double batch of Tripel would be around 15kg.

Also how does it drain when you lift the grain up? Does it splash back into the hot wort?

nathan_madness said:
A double batch of Tripel would be around 15kg.

Also how does it drain when you lift the grain up? Does it splash back into the hot wort?
I am pretty sure I squeezed 16.5kg into my 50L recently. Mashed in a bit and then mashed in a bit more until it was all in. The flow through the grist was quite restricted and I was therefore worried about the potential for scorching to occur. It did not want to sparge either and I had to stir the top 2/3rds of the grain bed to get it to let the sparge through. I wouldn't recommend using this much grain.

Yes the malt pipe lifts up above the wort level but remains inside the 'pot' as it drains (i.e when you tip water over the grain to sparge them). It probably does 'splash' back into the wort but does not 'splash' out of the pot. I'd prefer to say it drips or drains into the wort.

The picture on the right shows it in sparging mode (this is a 20L unit as the 50L has two separate elements and two pumps). Relatively speaking, you would expect the wort level to be about the level of the arrow that says connecting rod:
speidel_9_1.jpg

So would "HSA" be of any concern with the wort dripping back in? I am just about to go either 3v or 50l Braumeister and so torn to which way I should go.

nathan_madness said:
So would "HSA" be of any concern with the wort dripping back in? I am just about to go either 3v or 50l Braumeister and so torn to which way I should go.
I thought it would be an issue but it's not.

I think you should go 3v.

batz

you could definitely build a 3v for a fraction of the cost. And just think of the level of satisfaction you would get out of it?

nathan_madness said:
A Sabco or a Beerbelly unit would suit you better. I dont think a BM is for you.

Cheers

Holy shit a braumseister 50L is $3600. :blink: Is it gold plated?

Steep upfront investment. Forgive my ignorance but thats some serious coin for what is achievable on alternative systems.

My system:
80L Ali pot $140
Reg $40
Burner $80
Thats $260 already plus maybe a $100 for tap, fittings, homemade bag, pulley parts, gas bottle
$360 which is a 10th of the price. Just missing the gold.

Additional:

1. Are you sure you can replicate mash temps every single time with that? What about that time you had too many cans and went to 68 instead of 65...
2. Maybe one day you actually realise the dream and run a pico/pub/micro brewery. Do you want something that can mimic the big systems and run a pilot batch for you? Ok BM can do that.
3. I'm an average guy and I earn average national male wage. That's what, 70k or a bit more? Fortnightly pay is 2k, i got 50L for 2.7k 6 months old. So you are talking about less than 3 weeks pay for an average dude, all the above advantages plus all the other documented ones. 1-3 cube production dependent on OG. Win.

Yeah. Rationalisation city, wasted style.

What's the most popular method of cooling when using a 50 lt braumeister?

aldee said:
What's the most popular method of cooling when using a 50 lt braumeister?
You have the same options as any AG brewery.
I use an immersion chiller or no chill into a cube. Others have a hop back or Randall and then through a plate or counterflow chiller.. Or just strait through the CFWC. The choice is yours..

Cheers

Had my 20l around 2years now done 50+ brews on it and i cant fault it,worth the $ when you tell other people what it costs,in their eyes not,in mine definately,there are now 3 of them in our brewclub

stakka82 said:
Additional:

1. Are you sure you can replicate mash temps every single time with that? What about that time you had too many cans and went to 68 instead of 65...
2. Maybe one day you actually realise the dream and run a pico/pub/micro brewery. Do you want something that can mimic the big systems and run a pilot batch for you? Ok BM can do that.
3. I'm an average guy and I earn average national male wage. That's what, 70k or a bit more? Fortnightly pay is 2k, i got 50L for 2.7k 6 months old. So you are talking about less than 3 weeks pay for an average dude, all the above advantages plus all the other documented ones. 1-3 cube production dependent on OG. Win.

Yeah. Rationalisation city, wasted style.
1. Can and do reguarly step mash with no issues at all. Sure it takes an extra 20 minutes standing around the kettle but it is my hobby and if I didnt enjoy it I wouldnt be doing it. Usually get stuck into the brews after cubing. No doubt it will happen and I'll overshoot one day by a few degrees, all comes down to planning.
2. Most would dream to do this one day but IMHO I dont want to make my hobby my job. BM would be fantastic for this I agree.
3. Im an average guy too however I earn well below half of that sum per year. In the process of gaining an apprenticeship. In the long run that would be a great investment but it's just unrealistic in my budget. When you put it like that its a great investment and affordable for most, it would depend on time factor if you wanted to build your own system which adds to the hobby. 2 cubes dependent on OG.

Not for all but for me $360 wins over $3600 and I'm really happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back