PT100 compatibility

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djebel

Reaction score
I caught up with a mate today who had a question for me, which I couldn't answer. Because I home brew I apparently know everything about temperature control 🤨, so here goes.

He's been given some second hand stuff, including a temperature controller of unknown make and model. It does have a sticker (possibly part of one) that says: "PT100 type 0-200°C".

I've searched the internet, and the closest I can find (that doesn't cost an arm and both legs) say "Range: -50 -- 200°C". Is that "-50°C" likely to cause a problem? Or does that simply indicate what the probe can tolerate?

It won't ever be used at either extreme, just for regulating temperature for the meat drying setup he wants to set up (so probably 40 -- 60°C tops).

Any help will be gratefully received :bowdown:.

I caught up with a mate today who had a question for me, which I couldn't answer. Because I home brew I apparently know everything about temperature control 🤨, so here goes.

He's been given some second hand stuff, including a temperature controller of unknown make and model. It does have a sticker (possibly part of one) that says: "PT100 type 0-200°C".

I've searched the internet, and the closest I can find (that doesn't cost an arm and both legs) say "Range: -50 -- 200°C". Is that "-50°C" likely to cause a problem? Or does that simply indicate what the probe can tolerate?

It won't ever be used at either extreme, just for regulating temperature for the meat drying setup he wants to set up (so probably 40 -- 60°C tops).

Any help will be gratefully received :bowdown:.
It should be fine, RTD’s are very simple devices (one of their strengths as they are the industry standard in heavy process industries), just ensure it’s a Pt100 and not a Pt1000 as the resistance is different on those probes…

Latest posts

Back