Pronounciation Of Trub And Other Brew Words

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but it had to be done.

Gah, it was early, on my phone keyboard, pfft.

--

Guess the error... "While I can understand people spelling it this way due to how it sounds, however it gives the illusion that the word is an adjective rather than a noun and throws out the whole meaning of the sentence."

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are not living in Germany, we are living in Aus. So I say the word as it is spelt. Funny thing is we do it with all european words, so we should with these.

Say it as it is spelt

Craftbrewer

wort is said like sort, thats how its spelt, trub is said like rude, and so on. If I lived in Germany well I would say it different.

Does this mean that we pronounce "word" as "ward" not "werd".

Incidentally the e on the end of rude if what softens the prior vowel and consonant sound in rude so your reasoning for pronouncing trub the same way is false (further cementing your error is the fact that the t before the r also hardens the following vowel sound).

All according to Australian dialectical pronunciation, of course. Let's not get all dogmatic about it.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are not living in Germany, we are living in Aus. So I say the word as it is spelt. Funny thing is we do it with all european words, so we should with these.

Say it as it is spelt

Craftbrewer

wort is said like sort, thats how its spelt, trub is said like rude, and so on. If I lived in Germany well I would say it different.

Graham, you can go on through your life pronouncing wort like it's a hideous skin protrusion if you're happy with that. Personally I think that wort deserves a little more respect, especially from devoted brewers.

And by the way, wort is an English word, not a German word. We are living in an English-speaking part of the world, for what it's worth.

Maybe I'm just a pedantic worm. I'll just go back to work before things get worse.

BTW, as for brewing words that really do come from German, I tend to pronounce them as per the German pronunciation, but I speak German so it's pretty straight forward for me. For most English speakers I think you can pronounce them whatever way you like as long as you are understood.

According to my sources the word wort is pronounced wert and comes from the Old English word wyrt .

Hi, my name's Andy.

What?

Andy.

Sorry?

oh, err, EEEEEEEEEEEEEndi.

Ohhh! Sorry Maaaaaaaaaaaaaayte, Andy...

Fuckers.

What about krausen. I tend to pronounce it as kr-ow-sin with the ow sound as in how.

I just haven't heard the correct pronunciation to figure out if it should be the way I say it or kr-or-sen

What about krausen. I tend to pronounce it as kr-ow-sin with the ow sound as in how.

I just haven't heard the correct pronunciation to figure out if it should be the way I say it or kr-or-sen

In German you pronounce it like 'kroyzen'. But as I said previously I don't think it's a requirement that everybody knows how to pronounce words from foreign languages. 'Krowzen' or something like that is just fine in my books.

Maaaayte, that's purfect. Why tune in to American puud caaaasts to learn how to butcher an otherwise byuuutifull language.

I quite like the Aussie tayke on things...

...now is it Chuck or Chook?

Is Saaz pronounced sas or sars?
I've heard both

is it amarillo or 'amareeyo' (think tortilla / torteeya)

If we go around pronouncing words as theyre said in the language they originally came from, we'd all be speak some sick hybrid of latin and ancient greek. I used to pick on people for pronouncing stuff wrong all the time, but I've come to realise that unless you're speaking in the foreign language the word came from, its ok to pronounce it differently. Unless it's the name of a person or a place or something (proper noun?), then you should abide by their language rules.

i say pretty much everything occa except I force myself to say 'wert'.

in an effort to show my pronunciation through rhyme: rub a dub trub, housin' the krausen, saaz on mars, (gettin sick of rhymes) torteeya and amarillo don't rhyme, even that middle bit that you wouldnt even call rhyming if it sounded the same, you know what im sayin (I think it's called assonance or consonance or something)

Is Saaz pronounced sas or sars?
I've heard both

That's a complicated one. It's the German name of a town that is now in the Czech Republic. The German pronunciation is like 'Zaahts'. The town is now known as Zatec, pronounced 'Zhatets'. (zh as in azure...thanks to Peter the Czech for the pronunciation info.)

Most English speakers say something like 'Saahz'.

As I said before (rather cryptically), misspelling words isn't a problem unless the typo represents another word that has a completely different meaning.

Back