Pronounciation Of Trub And Other Brew Words

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a clogwog myself (that's a dutchman), I'm constantly bemused with the attempts of locals to pronounce "Grolsch".
Impossible to do, unless you can do a soft "g", as at the end of the scottish "loch".
The "ch" at the end is silent, so the "sch" is pronounced as a simple "s".

ler-ven-broy
pow-lar-nair
vye-en-shtefarn

tdh
(another native speaking squarehead pedant)

If we go around pronouncing words as theyre said in the language they originally came from, we'd all be speak some sick hybrid of latin and ancient greek.

Well, I think we do!!! Chuck in German and Norman French and you have English (why isn't it written Inglish if that's how it's pronounced???)

tdh

p.s. I just love debates about language, especially with people who have never learnt another one (let alone the origin of their own), travelled or are willing to open their minds.

Clogwog, that's a beauty. I thought swamp german couldn't be topped.

tdh

ler-ven-broy
pow-lar-nair
vye-en-shtefarn

tdh
(another native speaking squarehead pedant)

I'll add a few...

hof-broy
frahnt-sis-kahner (Had a party keg of the Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier a couple of weekends ago...utterly awesome.)
sherfer-hoe-fer

I have to admit that I cringe a bit when I hear Lwenbru pronounced "Low'n brow". But it's a bit much to expect the average Aussie to know how to pronounce those umlaut letters. (And anyway, apart from a visit to the Lwenbru Keller or the local German Club, I couldn't imagine walking into a bar or bottlo in Australia and asking for a "ler-v'n-broy".)

If we go around pronouncing words as theyre said in the language they originally came from, we'd all be speak some sick hybrid of latin and ancient greek.

Well, I think we do!!! Chuck in German and Norman French and you have English (why isn't it written Inglish if that's how it's pronounced???)

tdh

p.s. I just love debates about language, especially with people who have never learnt another one (let alone the origin of their own), travelled or are willing to open their minds.

wtf, are you taking a dig mate? Of course I know English has evolved from these languages, that's the whole point of my post. I'm yet to hear anyone (except one particularly scholarly friend of mine) use strings of latin in every day speech, and she only does it to me because I make her try and say stuff in latin because it sounds cool. I reckon it's a pretty safe bet that you, yes you, up there on your high horse with all your linguistic scholarly achievements, wouldn't understand anything if someone started mouthing off at you in latin or ancient greek.

p.s. I love it when someone attacks you to try and start a debate, signs it off with something condescending like you just have, and end up making a dick of themselves because they didn't even understand what they were so avidly rebutting in the first place. :rolleyes:

(And anyway, apart from a visit to the Lwenbru Keller or the local German Club, I couldn't imagine walking into a bar or bottlo in Australia and asking for a "ler-v'n-broy".)

Why not? Start a trend. Do you ask for a pizza or a peetsa?

tdh

Sammus, what an angry little knob you are!
No, I'm not having a dig mate. But you blew your top anyway.
All meant light heartedly, but that's emailing for ya.

tdh

hahaha :lol: and I was just about to add to the bottom: "and if you weren't having a dig and I misinterpreted your post, ignore all the no-so-subtle insults above" ;)

alls good (on this end anyway). interwebs is always fun :icon_cheers:

that's were all the misunderstandings come from.

I know bum got one but it was too funny not to point out.

Personally I say wert and trub although I've heard it pronounced troob. I don't particularly care how anyone pronounces it. If I find out a word (any word) has an origin and there's a pronunciation I try and follow it without going to the nth degree (for example someone I worked with recently made a point of pronouncing provenance as proveNONCE which just made him sound both like a pretentious dick and a nonce).

@craftbrewer: there is a point to pronouncing things how they sound rather than how they are spelt. If you insisted on spelling things the way they were spelt on all ocassions would you then say PPPPPP sai kol ogee or lam BBB or even edinburGGG? I went to Edinburgh and had a good lamb pie with a psychologist who told me about his wart.

That said I'd be more interested on the material on your radio show than how you pronounced 'lautering'.

Hi, my name's Andy.

What?

Andy.

Sorry?

oh, err, EEEEEEEEEEEEEndi.

Ohhh! Sorry Maaaaaaaaaaaaaayte, Andy...

Fuckers.

Ah ahaha ah!! What about fark.
This should be in the jokes thread.

I asked about a "lombic" in a bottle shop once and felt like a proper tool.

Nice logic. Bet you're glad your mum didn't spell your name 'Graeme'.
I once worked in a grocery wholesale warehouse "Anyone put in an order this week for the cham pig nongs in butter sauce?" :lol:

Hi, my name's Andy.

What?

Andy.

Sorry?

oh, err, EEEEEEEEEEEEEndi.

Ohhh! Sorry Maaaaaaaaaaaaaayte, Andy...

Fuckers.

Would work better if you told the truth though.

You keep telling everyone your name is UNDY.

As in 'ow's it gooin ma name's undi can a mash sum tea for yer?

Proper.

OT: I have a friend whose mother was French/Algerian and whose father was German. When they were considering his name they almost decided on Ian [pronounced Yan in France] until one of their Australian friends pointed out that he would be called eeeeeAN for the remainder of his life in this country.

His name is Pierre.

As I am one who really butchers the English Language I shouldn't talk, BUT will.

The one reason English is the universial World Language is its constsnt flexibility to changing times, attitudes and situations. Few languages have this real flexibility. The meaning, how we say them, in what context is an amazement. What makes the language a rock solid staple is also its ability to abosrb foreign words, change how they are said to fit the universial "e" sounds of english, thus making them english words.

Any person that says "this is how the word is meant to be said" will lose the argument over time, regardless how right they are. Words will be taken from sources, changed to fit a more english sound, and like all words in the english language, changed again to fit changing times.

So while I may respect the true meaning and way the word is susposed to be said, I dont fight history, I just go along with it and englishise the word.

Makes life sooooo much easier

Craftbrewer

Latest posts

Back