Pronounciation Of Trub And Other Brew Words

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't making good beer important
And thats where is ends for me.

HTFU, RDWHAHB, etc.

- boingk

(said like the noise pigs apparently make, but with a short b sound in front of it)

I'm taught p-l-o-u-g-h
Shall be pronounc "plow."
"Zat's easy w'en you know," I say,
"Mon Anglais, I'll get through!"

My teacher say zat in zat case,
O-u-g-h is "oo."
And zen I laugh and say to him,
"Zees Anglais make me cough."

He say, "Not 'coo,' but in zat word,
O-u-g-h is 'off.'"
Oh, Sacre bleu! Such varied sounds
Of words makes me hiccough!

He say, "Again mon frien' ees wrong;
O-u-g-h is 'up'
In hiccough." Zen I cry, "No more,
You make my t'roat feel rough."

"Non, non!" he cry, "you are not right;
O-u-g-h is 'uff.'"
I say, "I try to spik your words,
I cannot spik zem though."

"In time you'll learn, but now you're wrong!
O-u-g-h is 'owe.'"
"I'll try no more, I s'all go mad,
I'll drown me in ze lough!"

"But ere you drown yourself," said he,
"O-u-g-h is 'ock.'"
He taught no more, I held him fast,
And killed him wiz a rough!

Charles Battell Loomis

BTW, as for brewing words that really do come from German, I tend to pronounce them as per the German pronunciation, but I speak German so it's pretty straight forward for me. For most English speakers I think you can pronounce them whatever way you like as long as you are understood.

I feel the same way...

As a fluent german speaker I cringe everytime someone pronounces alt, hefeweizen, schwarzbier and reinheitsgebot...but hey, we say it how we see it. So if you are understood it doesn't really matter, and if I were to correct people on how to say the words, I don't think they would bother any way...but for those that argue that we live in an english speaking country and should pronounce it like it was an english word...well thats a little bit silly imo.

Cheers
Phil

Hey warrenlw63 not everybody has the benefit of a good education (long story) why be so hung upon others spelling. Isn't making good beer important

i certainly didn't learn about lager at school (although i learnt a bit about it at uni!) - the internet should be all the education you need to spell brewing vocab.

isn't this forum for educating us about beer as well as how to make it? i think spelling is important - it's part of respecting all the different traditions and cultures that beer comes from.

american and UK and european brewing websites don't have many spelling mistakes, but aussie websites are full of them. don't know why this is.

Hi, my name's Andy.

What?

Andy.

Sorry?

oh, err, EEEEEEEEEEEEEndi.

Ohhh! Sorry Maaaaaaaaaaaaaayte, Andy...

Fuckers.

I concur. I was always Mike in the UK (after the second world war because there was such an American influence, Mike largely replaced Mick as the diminutive for Michael) On arrival in Australia people thought I was saying "Mark" as opposed to "Moyk" so I have been just plain "Michael" ever since which my pom rellies think is a bit wanky.

However it's easily done. I was taking a message over the phone at work from a fellow Geordie who announced himself as WEEEEN. Sorry, how do you spell that ? W-A-Y-N-E .... WEEEEEEN

Sorry me bonny lad ah didn't hear ye reet - gan canny noo..... :icon_cheers:

Anyway gotta fly there's big troooble dooon at the foooogles mill

When I go to the US I am invariably (an inexplicably, IMO) constantly being called Behr-n (Ben). Just as confusing for me I must refer to my brother-in-law as Air-ron (Aaron) to be understood.

i certainly didn't learn about lager at school (although i learnt a bit about it at uni!)

Only thing I learned about lager at uni was how to turn it into urine.

isn't this forum for educating us about beer as well as how to make it?
i think spelling is important - it's part of respecting all the different traditions and cultures that beer comes from.

I agree 100% - nothing wrong with knowing the correct pronunciation and spelling of words, and if it's beer related - here's as good a place as any to learn.
Having said that, the only beer related word I attempt to pronounce correctly rather than the way it looks is - wort.

american and UK and european brewing websites don't have many spelling mistakes, but aussie websites are full of them. don't know why this is.

Because a) theres no spell checker here (is there?) and B) we're basically a lazy bunch :lol:

Personally, so long as the message is understandable, I couldn't care less if somebody puts an r in lager
or uses threw instead of through on a message board.

The thing that really gives me the sh*ts is the amount of spelling errors on the TV.
In both news items and Channel guides - I see them all the time.

Doesn't someone get paid to make sure they get it right ?

I feel the same way...

As a fluent german speaker I cringe everytime someone pronounces alt, hefeweizen, schwarzbier and reinheitsgebot...

Mind you it can provide some good laughs. Listen to a certain beer podcast from a tropical region of this great land to hear a non-stop torrent of hilariously mispronounced words...most of them English.

(Although my favourite is their pronunciation of Schwarzbier as 'shwashbeer'.)

It's also important to point out other countries butcher foreign words too... Mainly to make them easier to say for speakers not used to creating the sounds in the foreign language.

For example... "Australia"

In Japan, it is pronounced (and transliterated as) "oh-sto-rah-ri-a". In China (can't remember which Chinese, but it stuck in my mind), "ao-da-lia" or something similar.

Hell, we call Nihon "Nippon", or even "Japan"? Ignorance much? Just about every non-English-speaking country's name is butchered for us to make it easier to say and learn.

Just to throw some more spanners in the works...

Nippon was actually the country's name for a good while and is still sometimes referred to as such by its people. All valid points though, none the less.

Just as Germany is only Germany in English, the correct name "Deutschland" is mirrored in the English term "Dutch" which refers nowadays to the Netherlands or should that be Holland - originally I believe Dutch was applied haphazardly to all North Germanic seafarers and traders, e.g. from the Hanseatic League. Even within German speaking countries pronunciation varies considerably. I learned some German sorry Deutsch at school from a Viennese teacher who taught us with an Austrian accent :lol: When I went to Germany I was surprised that they don't usually seem to use the palatised 'ch' sound not unlike the Scottish sound in "loch" but done at the front of the palette. I was saying "Ich bin" but in Northern and Central Germany it sounded more like "Ish bin".

Reminds me of The Beatles famously singing "She loves fat. Yeah, yeah, yeah."

And just to be a complete pedant (about spelling, not pronunciation), in reference to the title of this thread:

It's pronunciation, not pronounciation.

Andrew

And just to be a complete pedant (about spelling, not pronunciation), in reference to the title of this thread:

It's pronunciation, not pronounciation.

Andrew

I agree that written English as seen on blogs and forums is definately beginning to loose it's accuracy.

I find that Lowenbrau and Paulaner get confused a lot. Most of my mates say things phonetically but after spending a fair whack of time in Germany with work I have come to respect that they are pronounced 'Loove-en-brau' and 'Pal-an-er' respectively

Di-ace-a-tyl or Dia-cee-tyl
diacetyl.jpeg + diacetyl2.jpeg + E + diacetyl3.jpeg

Resisted temptation to use another picture for the ass. :icon_cheers:

Love the picture based pronunciation BribeG, maybe it should become part of a wiki article :)

As a non-german speaker I (like many others) pronounced many of the words (ie weizen) incorrectly to begin with. Unfortunately until you hear someone say it correctly, reading the word posted in forums like this you end up with an "Aussie" interpretation as per the spelling. For those that cringe at the way some words are pronounced, please just correct people like myself and I'll try to get it right the next time :)

Latest posts

Back