Pronounciation Of Trub And Other Brew Words

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
The Americans pronounce "trub" as 'troob'.

How do you say it?

The Americans pronounce "trub" as 'troob'.

How do you say it?

Not all of us. :rolleyes: I say it like pub or tub.

Trub is from a German word, so pronouncing "u" as oo is proper. Having said that, to be proper, the "r" would need to be rolled and the final "b" would be more like "p".

I though I'd get someone to explain why so :p

Ok next one lol

Why do so many brewers call finings "finnings"?
or another

Lager "Larger"?

Does that mean bigger is bager for those.....

ps. Sorry night shift gets slow at times.

....and lautering comes from the german word "lutern", pronounced loitern..... :icon_chickcheers:

I pronounce "wort" as "wart", and "wrt" as "wert". If you're going to be anal about the pronunciation, at least type then correctly, that's were all the misunderstandings come from.

Foogles or Fuggles as in Jug?

Wouldn't wort be vert?

Edited for additions

Wort as wert

Turb like the first have of trouble.

Fuggles like jug.

If you're going to be anal about the pronunciation, at least type then correctly, that's were all the misunderstandings come from.

Sorry, but it had to be done.

I say everything with an "Occa" accent, so trub is trub, fuggles is fewgels, wort is wort, and most of the things I say end with "maaate". I know how to say them in the "correct way", but I'm an Aussie, so I have an Aussie accent. SWMBO hate's the way I pronounce things, but that just eggs me on :p

And wort is pronounced wert, Townsville! So many times I have cringed listening to your pod cast.
:lol:
GB

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are not living in Germany, we are living in Aus. So I say the word as it is spelt. Funny thing is we do it with all european words, so we should with these.

Say it as it is spelt

Craftbrewer

wort is said like sort, thats how its spelt, trub is said like rude, and so on. If I lived in Germany well I would say it different.

Why are you using the US spelling for "spelled" if localisation is so important to you?

Wouldn't wort be vert?

Edited for additions

Yes as Zwickel will testify.

But here's a tough one, how do you pronounce Rauch for "smoke" (german). I love listening to the various pronounciations.

Zwickel how do you explain in words the beginning sound of the word Rauch? We say it as a Rauk but in German the word begins with that gutteral "R"

One of my German friends pronounces the german word for Yeast as "Heyfa" not Hefa as we say it.

I often take a bottle of my Hefeweizen to some Bavarian folk who pronounce it "oicebeer" almost beginning with "O" rather that "W" or the typical German pronounciation "V"

Another I like is the pronunciation of Schwarzbier, a Schwarz (Black) Beer pronounced Sh-vartz, among the funniest pronounciations I've heard is Swashbeer :lol:

But I guess in the long run who cares really so long as we know what we mean. Lots of our English words are derivatives of French and German words which we no longer pronounce in the original vernacular. Some of these loanwords are Kindergarden and even the loan part of the explanation Loanword comes from the German Lehnwort.

Cheers,

Screwy

Screwy

I often take a bottle of my Hefeweizen to some Bavarian folk who pronounce it "oicebeer" almost beginning with "O" rather that "W" or the typical German pronounciation "V"

Screwy

Zwickel will probably be able to confirm this but in German pronounciation there are many ways to skin a cat. Those in the south have subtle differences to those in the north, east and west. Even some words are substituted. You will find that w, s and z amongst other letters can be varied depending on the local dialect. Someone in Berlin sounds totally different to someone in Munich, so even the word 'Weisse' could be said a bunch of different ways.

A mate of mine who is from the Rhineland once was sitting in a mess-tent during his National Service. There were people eating beside him who came from all over Germany. He couldn't understand what the heck they were all saying as they all tried to talk in their various dialects at each other. In frustration he bashed his fist on the the table in frustration and yelled, "For god's sake would somebody please speak GERMAN!?"

The long and short of it is, over there, your pronounciation often depends entirely on where you sit! :D

Hopper.

personally i just want to see an end to people using "Belgium" as an adjective (or even weirder: "Bohemium"!?!?!)

Latest posts

Back