Proculture Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Nev (or anyone) - any info on his distillers yeasts? I think he's got 5 or so in his bank, but they are all described in the same vague way. I'm looking for a good (pref scottish) strain for a 9% malt based wash.

No discussion of the sister-craft on this forum.

Hey Nev (or anyone) - any info on his distillers yeasts? I think he's got 5 or so in his bank, but they are all described in the same vague way. I'm looking for a good (pref scottish) strain for a 9% malt based wash.

No discussion of the sister-craft on this forum.

I think he's just got a stuck ferment that he needs a hand with... ;)
Surely discussing fermenting unhopped beer is fine.

I think he means Platinum Collection. The seasonal specials that Wyeast offer.
No Stuster, Private Collection is what I mean. If a manufacturer can knock out packs of yeast one day, there's nothing to stop it the next. We've been had... Nothing like developing brand- allegiance via marketing. Those crafty yanks.

Unlike Proculture's range. Oh, wait, I see the ambiguity now. Sorry...

Interesting discussion though.

Ah, getting my manufacturers mixed up here. Maybe the marketing doesn't work on me as well as I thought it did. :p

Rde yes you are right on the money there. While there are only two main liquid yeast mobs in the market then they can manipulate things by announcing 'closed seasons' on yeasts such as 1469 which is put out from October onwards to suit the Northern Hemisphere. Hereabouts we would love to get these yeast from March to October but of course we don't rate much as a major market in Australia.

It's great that we have a home grown supplier started up. I have ordered some of their 1469 lookalike and intend to do a side by side brew against a slant of the genuine 1469 that a fellow brewer kindly sent me ;) :) and see how we go.

Yep BribieG, I was thinking about the prospect of side- by- side testing too! Now that I can do up batches with a fair degree of repeatability it is more likely to happen. And at least the new one can be easily obtained without having to scrounge all over the earth and then hand over one's firstborn as security etc. Well not really, our fellow brewers are pretty helpful, sharing folks!

Good point Bizier, giving them the benefit of the doubt, that's the conclusion I had reached initially. Then I found out they had actually re- released 1469 but still kept it in the PC stable and hence I became a shade more cynical. It was released in Jan-March 07 and then again in Oct-Dec 08. Then I asked myself about the change from 'Very Special Strain' to 'Private Collection' and saw the grubby pawmarks of a marketing consultant having its way with a growing firm that might've made some bad decisions with product development. I could be wrong though, in fact its quite likely!

Oh, and no worries Stu- I had to go and check the website myself! Evidently you're right, they may have made a blue!

Hmm, i wonder if they do a WY 2575 equivalent on the topic of Wyeast PC strains. PRO107 says "2565-2575", but i'd be guessing that it's not a mixed strain.

Wyeast have said to me in an email that 2575PC is getting re-released in their Spring collection, so that would be Autumn next year.

Hmm, i wonder if they do a WY 2575 equivalent on the topic of Wyeast PC strains. PRO107 says "2565-2575", but i'd be guessing that it's not a mixed strain.

Wyeast have said to me in an email that 2575PC is getting re-released in their Spring collection, so that would be Autumn next year.
It is the 2575PC comparison.And you are right its not a mixed strain.I will edit my web page to show the correct comparison.
GB

I have recently started to use Proculture yeasts and at the moment have five fermentations under way, but nothing to sample yet. The pricing is very good, at $20-$21 for two vials of yeast it is hardly worth the cost of DME and effort to make a starter for a 20L batch of 1.050 lager. Freshness if you are in WA is also excellent, there is nothing like seeing samples on ice being delivered to your HBS that are only a day old!

There is still a lot of inconsistency between the labelling on the packages and what is on the website.

Take for example:
PRO- 88 CANADIAN ALE YEAST, on the website it says Temperature Range: 18-26C and good for a wide range of beers
However on the vial it says, temp range 20-27C and most suited for Saison style beers?

Also the PRO- 10 AMERICAN SIERRA ALE YEAST on the website it says Ferment range: 15-32 oC (opt.: 20-23 oC)
But on the vial it only states 20-23C, Considering this is supposed to be the same as the other guys basic American Ale yeast if you were at the shop looking the vials you would possibly bypass it if you didn't know about the extended temp range.
To test things out I have it happily fermenting a blonde ale in my fridge at 16-17C

The new packaging is a definite improvement, the caps seal well so no more leaking mess if the bottle is not kept upright. Plus the little bottles are just the right size to tip a bit of wort into to keep your own little 1st generation sample if you are a real frugal brewer.

I know Proculture is working on the labelling issues, the problem being the old style vials were small and they could not fit much info on the labels.The other issues have been brought to their attention.
GB

I pitched a PC103 (TTL) yesterday on a bright ale, and woke up this morning to find a HUGE krausen already! :beerbang: Its a 19L batch in a 30L fermenter and the krausen is only a couple of inches from the lid. This stuff is bloody fresh!

Looking forward to try this one, the way its going I could be kegging it some time this week! :party:

I cultured up 6 stubbies of the kolsch yeast the other week. I pitched me first stubbie yesterday and it has fired up very well already.

Cant wait till taste testing time.

The new packaging is a definite improvement, the caps seal well so no more leaking mess if the bottle is not kept upright. Plus the little bottles are just the right size to tip a bit of wort into to keep your own little 1st generation sample if you are a real frugal brewer.

I made a starter last night with the Pro 60 American Wheat and must say I was surprised at how easy it was to open the cap, I thought at least there might be a safety seal.

Pitched into a 2 litre starter, looking forward to how it grows.

What has happened to Proculture, have they gone belly up?

Proculture weren't a stand alone business as such, AFAIK they were a couple of uni dudes doing it as a sideline. Gryphon Brewing would have his finger on the pulse there.

Proculture weren't a stand alone business as such, AFAIK they were a couple of uni dudes doing it as a sideline. Gryphon Brewing would have his finger on the pulse there.

I think there still try to work out paging troubles

I have had my finger else where just recently :icon_drool2: but I have asked the question and just waiting on a reply.
Nev
GB

Back