Problem With Mould In My Fermenting Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
Last 2 brews ive done my fermenting fridge has developed mould, when not in use it sits with the door open, when in use door closed and @ 18*C. It is a small bar fridge (just fits a fermenter, controlled w/ tempmate). In order to fit the fermenter, the freezer tray has been removed so everything in there is the same temp. Usually apply a blowoff tube.

What i want to know is why mould!, spreads everywhere, all over fermenter and fridge, up in the tap and everything. Ive turned to spraying a bleach solution in there every couple of days to try and keep the thing sterile (and stop mould growing).

Lately ive turned to non temp controlled fermentation just to avoid this, but before we know it summer will be here :p

Any help appreciated
Cheers Clint

Try some bi carb or charcoal in a container in the fridge to absorb moisture?

i had the same setup and had a little mould, but not that much.

just cleaned it off every time, never made a difference to my brew though.

Last 2 brews ive done my fermenting fridge has developed mould, when not in use it sits with the door open, when in use door closed and @ 18*C. It is a small bar fridge (just fits a fermenter, controlled w/ tempmate). In order to fit the fermenter, the freezer tray has been removed so everything in there is the same temp. Usually apply a blowoff tube.

What i want to know is why mould!, spreads everywhere, all over fermenter and fridge, up in the tap and everything. Ive turned to spraying a bleach solution in there every couple of days to try and keep the thing sterile (and stop mould growing).

Lately ive turned to non temp controlled fermentation just to avoid this, but before we know it summer will be here :p

Any help appreciated
Cheers Clint

Try 50/50 White Vinegar and Bleach. Straight bleach was ok, but the mix works for me.

Using a spray bottle of the mix
Spray and soak the fridge
leave it a couple of minutes and sponge off,
then (since my fridge is on the back patio) I hose it out, giving it a good clean
finally a light mist of the mix is re applied and left on there.
I get about 2 months between cleans.

Warning: Vinegar and Bleach gives of toxic chlorine gas

QldKev

maybe even shower power. works good in the shower. hahaha :D

Happens to me too when brewing ales. Use bleach to clean it as QLDKev said.

Damprid in the fridge will keep it at bay. Or just brew lagers - it doesn't seem to form at lager temps.

Last four brews done in my new fridge/freezer combo (- thanks Tallboy), store hops and stuff in the freezer bit, noticed a spot of mildew on the inside of the door. Therefore I conclude a wash with Starsan solution (White vinegar should do as well) lasts about three weeks, i'd say... present conditions in Brissie notwithstanding.
But remember, it's not just your fridge - the spores are everywhere...

Try 50/50 White Vinegar and Bleach. Straight bleach was ok, but the mix works for me.

then (since my fridge is on the back patio) I hose it out, giving it a good clean

QldKev
Yes, you're Kevin from Qld and your here to help!
That's the best way as the bleach kills the flower of the mould (the visible black crap) and the vinegar kills off the roots that penetrate the surface and can't be seen.

Q - What i want to know is why mould!, spreads everywhere, all over fermenter and fridge, up in the tap and everything. Ive turned to spraying a bleach solution in there every couple of days to try and keep the thing sterile (and stop mould growing).

Any help appreciated
Cheers Clint

A - You live in Brisbane. :icon_cheers:

I find spraying it with Starsan makes it worse as it just adds moisture.

This happens to me by the way, and everyone else that has a fermenting fridge. I have never had mould on the actual fermenter though, especially not in the tap. That's a worry. If I were you'd I'd be wrapping the tap in glad wrap to keep the nasties out.

QldKev
So, if "Vinegar and Bleach gives of toxic chlorine gas" what is the suggested way to make a 50/50 White Vingar and Bleach mix?

Or is it just a case of "keep your nose clear" when using?

I've started using a propriet supermarket spray bottle - No more mould or something like that. Quick spray and a wipe and it's clean again. I think the mould is getting less each brew.

Cheers

Try some bi carb or charcoal in a container in the fridge to absorb moisture?

+ 1 for this or any other moisture absorbing product - some can be a little bit more expensive but you can technically dehydrate them in the oven and use over.
As others have said, you can always clean it down, but taking the moisture out of the environment (at least some) with one of these absorption devices is the only way to reduce the frequency of cleaning.

+ 1 for this or any other moisture absorbing product - some can be a little bit more expensive but you can technically dehydrate them in the oven and use over.
As others have said, you can always clean it down, but taking the moisture out of the environment (at least some) with one of these absorption devices is the only way to reduce the frequency of cleaning.

Hmmmm, i do have an excess of molecular sieves at work......... :ph34r:

Whitegoods are whitegoods - I just use exit mould or the ALDI equivalent for the very occasional mould attack. At the moment you should just be able to to ales at ambient, mine are sitting dead on 19 day and night in the garage, although I suppose if you live out Ipswich way etc, the temperature swings would be bigger.

So, if "Vinegar and Bleach gives of toxic chlorine gas" what is the suggested way to make a 50/50 White Vingar and Bleach mix?

Or is it just a case of "keep your nose clear" when using?

Thats all I do; hold my breath. Not sure if there is a better way. Also this mix is excellent for cleaning the bathroom tiles.

It's cool to watch when you add it together the mix goes greenish, and after a day it clears back up.

QldKev

Whitegoods are whitegoods - I just use exit mould or the ALDI equivalent for the very occasional mould attack. At the moment you should just be able to to ales at ambient, mine are sitting dead on 19 day and night in the garage, although I suppose if you live out Ipswich way etc, the temperature swings would be bigger.

Whats the active ingedient in Exit Mould?

QldKev

Latest posts

Back