Prison/Improvised Grog?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait a week and ask Rolf. he should be able to get some ideas.

TimT said:
One of my brewing books has an anecdote the writer heard from a mate in prison.

They used bread, juice, and spit. My favourite bit is the spit as it will aid in the sugar-starch conversion! Probably get some lacto fermentation happening too. (Do we also have yeast in our mouths?) I suppose water was involved as well.

Maybe yeast isn't a problem - as a result of successive attempts to brew ilicitly in prisons the places are now a yeast-rich environment? If food scraps attract insects, rats, etc, they'll often carry the yeast with them.
I recall seeing an episode of No Reservations where Tony enjoyed a beverage made from some plant, a tuber or some description I think, that was chewed up and spat into a suitable receptacle by the village women and left to do its thing.

And I'm sure Dogfish Head passed the spittoon around the office once for some ancient inspired brew.

The women in their office, the women in the village, spitters the lot of em.

Dave70 said:
I recall seeing an episode of No Reservations where Tony enjoyed a beverage made from some plant, a tuber or some description I think, that was chewed up and spat into a suitable receptacle by the village women and left to do its thing.
That would be Cauim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauim

There's also a similar drink called Chicha De Yucca

Yeah, I love the 'spit' factor so much that I keep going on about it.

I was reading a book review a week or so ago and apparently in some countries the chicha is just made by young and old chewing and spitting, whereas in others chicha is just made by young maidens. Wonder what the flavour difference is? (Would quote but the article is paywalled and I don't have my copy here).

Plastic bags watertight,any veg fruit bread scraps sugar.Buried in orchard.Shhh.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Getting what....
There's that wonderous post count bump again ;)

Getting that you *can* contribute to a thread with a related answer to the question that was asked, and also at the same time bump up your post count. It's a marvel.

Why are you so interested in my thread count. No one else gives a fat rats...including me...

Except for you.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Bet he wont be singing Jake the Peg....
..deedle, eedle, eedle, um..

Sounds creepy now..

Guards! Call a cell toss. Sounds like someone's gonna get shivved.

Not quite about prison hooch but I saw an interesting link to contraband made in prison the other day. Like a sai made from dried toilet paper. Such improvisation. Surely making hooch would be childs play. NO Rolf, it's a figure of speech.

Not sure how to explain this to kids now.....

rhs_rolfharris,0.jpg

TimT said:

Yeah, I love the 'spit' factor so much that I keep going on about it.

I was reading a book review a week or so ago and apparently in some countries the chicha is just made by young and old chewing and spitting, whereas in others chicha is just made by young maidens. Wonder what the flavour difference is? (Would quote but the article is paywalled and I don't have my copy here).
From watching brewmasters when dogfushhead tested all the saliva for enzymatic usefullness, the girlies spit was better. Be fucked if I'd drink prison hooch made from some hepatitis riddled spit, bread spooge sounds not much more inviting.

Camo6 said:
Guards! Call a cell toss. Sounds like someone's gonna get shivved.

Not quite about prison hooch but I saw an interesting link to contraband made in prison the other day. Like a sai made from dried toilet paper. Such improvisation. Surely making hooch would be childs play. NO Rolf, it's a figure of speech.
The prisons I had to work in had cabinets of contraband weapons...

Blokes where even using false teeth to make weapons....

A favorite was to heat up a plastic knife which would harden the plastic then sharpen it by rubbing it on concrete.....amazing what lots of time and nothing to do can lead to.

Ducatiboy stu said:
...amazing what lots of time and nothing to do can lead to.
In my case, masturbation generally.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah...well considerng I have actually been and worked inside a few prisons...there are more than a few stories that have come my way....

Few of my mates are (and some who are no longer ) screws..
I knew a woman who was a warden in a prison.... she was a fantastic screw:)

Dave70 said:
In my case, masturbation generally.
I remember going into one of the pods to replace the inmate phone after some one had a " Dear John " phone call......I was asked by the guys in green if I was there to re-fill the condom vending machine....they where very dissapointed when I said no.

Apparantly that particular vending machine went thru twice as many condoms as any other machine in that jail...

We are way more advanced over here in Aotearoa!

Orange Juice and Hand Sanitizer is the way to go! The alcohol based hand sanitizer that evaporates as it sanitizers your hands...

There has even been big problems in the hospitals with people stealing the hand sanitizer to mix with their Juice to get tipsy.

Chur to the Hand Sanitizer!

Latest posts

Back