Prison/Improvised Grog?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Just vaguely watching a series on ABC2 called Hard Time (National Geographic program on a prison in Georgia), they mention in passing the use of onions for making illicit alcohol. So if you were in jail and in between attempts to avoid romantic liaisons in the shower how would you make alcohol?

(Yes this is just a hypothetical question about unusual ways to make grog I'm not seriously suggesting that you hit the bottle the moment you go down - just making it clear in case someone lacks a sense of humour.... :D )

Helloo

Well....I was in a former life a contractor that serviced/replaced the inmates phones. I am talking about actually going into the prison. As in in to where the cells are.

Yes...I had to mix with proper hard core crims..

If they could work it out they would.

They have lots of time on there hands..

Did get to see some "interesting" things..

Ducatiboy stu said:
Helloo

Well....I was in a former life a contractor that serviced/replaced the inmates phones. I am talking about actually going into the prison. As in in to where the cells are.

Yes...I had to mix with proper hard core crims..

If they could work it out they would.

They have lots of time on there hands..

Did get to see some "interesting" things..
Completely unhelpful and didn't answer the OP's question at all. Try again.

Ducatiboy stu said:
We will never be friends, but you've already said that.

I am happy with that.
But that is all I want. Much sadness has entered my life :(

Now... to be honest to the OP, neither myself or Stu have anything constructive but our post counts to add to your thread. God speed and best of luck.

Yeah...well considerng I have actually been and worked inside a few prisons...there are more than a few stories that have come my way....

Few of my mates are (and some who are no longer ) screws..

Back to Zarniwoop's question..

You would be suprised what they will try and ferment in jail.

Everything and anything.

And in any vessel possible.

It's a fun thread, not a serious one so how about we let the intra-forum point scoring rivalry go for once?

General point that anyone could take on board.

zarniwoop said:
how would you make alcohol?
Fruit.

If you can get hold of a balloon inside, it makes a very good fermenting vessell.

Milk bottle, fruit and water stashed behind the kitchen fridge, with some bread thrown in.

Now that cigarettes are prohibited in QLD prisons, nicotine patches soaked in water, this water then has tea leaves put in it. The tea leaves are dried. Toilet roll wrapping is used as tally-ho. Lit from toaster or battery and wire.

Prohibiting smoking in institutions containing hardcore criminals? Smart move. Love to be the prison guard enforcing that ban.

sugar from the coffee supply
squirt of tommy sauce for nutrients
little bit of lemon juice to reduce PH (from Friday nights fish and chips)

yeast is the issue... bread yeast would do muled in by some redneck i guess

indica86 said:
Now that cigarettes are prohibited in QLD prisons,
do the cons supply their own patches or am I funding them ?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Fruit.

If you can get hold of a balloon inside, it makes a very good fermenting vessell.
There we go! Now you're getting it.

I've seen a few prison docos (never been inside one for any reason) where prisoners horde their apples, and make a scrumpy type beverage they call prison hooch.

Latest posts

Back