Principles Of Brewing Science - By George Fix. Anyone Got It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking a redeeming gift voucher from Amazon (UK). If anyone has a copy of this I would like your comments before I hit the confirm button.

Cheers
KOS

I am looking a redeeming gift voucher from Amazon (UK). If anyone has a copy of this I would like your comments before I hit the confirm button.

I did not buy the book, but looked at it on my last Amazon order a week ago. If you are big into biochemistry and don't mind a book 1/3 of which is charts and can keep up with dry post-graduate-level lecture style writing and enjoy reading and discussing the effects of unsaturated long-chain aldehydes then you'll love the book.

If you don't know chemistry very well already, and don't have a well-equipped university laboratory at the ready you might want to start with Brew Chem 101: The Basics of Homebrewing Chemistry which is for the nonchemist that is a mid-level to advanced-level home brewer.

Then come back and try and study George Fix's book with a good effort.

I'm slowly devolving in many ways :) so I didn't push the confirm button myself.

I did not buy the book, but looked at it on my last Amazon order a week ago. If you are big into biochemistry and don't mind a book 1/3 of which is charts and can keep up with dry post-graduate-level lecture style writing and enjoy reading and discussion the effects of unsaturated long-chain aldehydes then you'll love the book.

If you don't know chemistry very well already, and don't have a well-equipped university laboratory at the ready you might want to start with Brew Chem 101: The Basics of Homebrewing Chemistry which is for the nonchemist that is a mid-level to advanced-level home brewer.

Then come back and try and study George Fix's book with a good effort.

I'm slowly devolving in many ways :) so I didn't push the confirm button myself.

Think I may have been a bit rash :huh:

Look at the books thread under articles

It lists a lot of books and if they are any good

I don't have the book but have read it and think they did a wonderfull job of it. As far as the science side to it I think they put it in easier terms to read than Noohan did in NBLB.

I throughly recommend this book if your after a easy enough to understand book on the princibles of brewing science.

...Buy it...i refer to the late Dr's book a lot...as an ex-concretor not a chemist, the first couple of reads certainly took some digesting....still do.... but i'm one of those people who needs to know not just how things work, but why....it's worth the effort i think.....i bought brew chem 101 as a well , it's ok but lacking in any real detail...advanced home brewers will not get much out of it for mine....

Thanks guys

I am thinking of it as a reference book, not a novel, so it should make the grade

...Buy it...i refer to the late Dr's book a lot...as an ex-concretor not a chemist, the first couple of reads certainly took some digesting....still do.... but i'm one of those people who needs to know not just how things work, but why....it's worth the effort i think.....i bought brew chem 101 as a well , it's ok but lacking in any real detail...advanced home brewers will not get much out of it for mine....

+1 I do have a science background although not chemistry. I bought both books at nearly the same time and Brew Chem 101 pretty much stays on the shelf while Fix's book keeps getting referenced and sections reread.

Yeh I got it , its great read, mind you I did get a high distinction in Chemistry.Also have a look at An Analysis of Brewing Techniques also by the Fix couple.I have both and pull them out quite often, memory and brewing dont go hand in hand. ;)
GB

I love this book. It's fairly technical, but at the same time well explained and always relevant to brewing - you will find you can apply a lot of what you read in this book.

If I only had two brewing books; this would be my technical one, and Randy Mosher's would be the creative one.

Its a fantastic book. A great book to build on your basic homebrewing knowledge. If you've read plamers how to brew and you want more then this is the book. It delves into the more technical side of brewing but keeps it pretty simple. I read it cover to cover and loved it.

I've read Palmer and Noonan and and a lot of Graham Sanders.
All info very good.
I think I would love to read or peruse through Principles Of Brewing Science.

I'd say it's great for the price, and I refer to it a lot, but it can sometimes be a little hard to relate some of the theory to practice, and the presentation on yeast has been done better. If you can justify it (I can't), the mega-expensive encyclopedia by Hough (IIRC?) seems to be the go from the extracts I have read on Amazon.

I'd say it's great for the price, and I refer to it a lot, but it can sometimes be a little hard to relate some of the theory to practice, and the presentation on yeast has been done better. If you can justify it (I can't), the mega-expensive encyclopedia by Hough (IIRC?) seems to be the go from the extracts I have read on Amazon.
"If you can justify it (I can't), the mega-expensive encyclopedia by Hough (IIRC?) seems to be the go from the extracts I have read on Amazon."
Now you are getting into so heavy technical reading !This I consider not really appropriate to the average home brewer unless you have a good back ground in brewing science to start with.
GB

Kunze is the most useful book I have found. Though an Amazon UK search tells me it is not available from them...

I also find that http://www.bookdepository.co.uk is faster and cheaper than Amazon...

Latest posts

Back