Priming With Cooper's Brewing Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernography

Reaction score
I have 1kg of brewing sugar left over from my brother's kit, is it any good to prime bottles or should I not be a tightarse and throw it away?

Yeah but is it good for priming? On the side it says it contains sucrose and light malt, I understand sucrose is used to prime but will the malt affect carbonation?

i just bought one of those coopers micro-brew kits and it came with that brewing sugar stuff and I'm wondering what to do with it also. But that sugar actually has maltodextrine in it not, light malt, maltodextrine isn't fermentable so i guess you'd need to use more in each bottle, how much though i couldn't help you

If you're using all malt you'd need to increase it by about 10-15% IIRC but with the mix just use your standard rate and it should be fine - may take slightly longer to fully carb.

cheers,

microbe

Technically you will need more to reach the same carb level but the difference won' tbe much so stick with your stadard measure like microbe said.

IMHO this is the best use of the Brewing Sugar provided in the equipment cartons. Coopers would be better served by supplying a packet of Brew Enhancer 2, as it makes better beer and would 'hook' the brewer into continuing.

I just bought by brother in law an equipment kit and I added a packet of dme so his first brew would be better.

I use Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 for priming at a rate of about 220g for a 23 litre batch, yes it costs a little more than sugar, but it's not always about the cost, it's about making the best beer you can.

I'd use about 15% more Brewing Sugar than if you were using straight sugar. If using a teaspoon, I'd make it a heaped teaspoon and you should be right.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll chuck it in the next batch I bottle and see how she goes.

FTR it's a coopers lager (FREE!!) with coopers brew enhancer 2 (couldnt be arsed waiting for brew shop to open!!) so here's hoping it's tasty.

Back