Priming wheat beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all

Just checked gravity on my wheat beer, down to 1014 from 1052 on day 8.

Will look to bottle next weekend. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on my best option for priming a Bavarian hefe? Going to do an order from the brew shop this week.

I won't bulk prime yet, will get into that once I get a second FV.

This is my 2nd batch, just used carbonation drops that came with my kit for first batch.

Cheers

Best option is to prime with reserved wort, saved in a sanitised 2 litre PET bottle and frozen. Thaw and re-boil before bulk-priming.

As far as bottle priming is concerned, it's also good to use DME or Wheat DME, or dextrose.

Or keg...

Les the Weizguy said:
Best option is to prime with reserved wort, saved in a sanitised 2 litre PET bottle and frozen. Thaw and re-boil before bulk-priming.

As far as bottle priming is concerned, it's also good to use DME or Wheat DME, or dextrose.

Or keg...
That's a really good idea, i have never thought of that, is this just something you do with wheat beers or all styles les?

Google pseudo bulk priming by goatherder.... its the ducks nuts. I use the syringe that came with a bottle of kids panadol.

Les the Weizguy said:

Or keg...
More authentic I gather? As it's not 100% fermentable do you calculate it as DME?

For me, it's one of the few good times to use coopers carb drops at their recommended quantities. That's always worked out very well for me. Bottle conditioning really does add an extra something something to these beers.

Good idea les, will look into that for my next wheat.

Might just use wheat DME for this one.

Will have a look at the pseudo bulk priming too.

Thanks gus

I always use table sugar to prime anything, very little impact on the beer and very reliable.

I used to rack/bulk priming and gone back to the simplisity of carb drops. You cant go wrong really and it cuts out the racking step.
The less handling and procces the better. Less chance of oxygenation or possible infections when your beer is exposed to - whatever is in the air around you etc. I just ware a latex glove handling the carb drops and you can always rince gloved hand in sanitizer.

Also calculating priming sugar considering temperature variations have had confusing results
like undercarbonated beer and that is a real bummer!

jimmy_jangles said:
That's a really good idea, i have never thought of that, is this just something you do with wheat beers or all styles les?
Only wheat beer, as that's all have have bothered to reserve wort for. Can apply to any beer you care to brew

Mr. No-Tip said:
More authentic I gather? As it's not 100% fermentable do you calculate it as DME?

For me, it's one of the few good times to use coopers carb drops at their recommended quantities. That's always worked out very well for me. Bottle conditioning really does add an extra something something to these beers.
Yep, I generally calculate it as DME equivalent, and it seems like a good idea to retain the flavour.

Sweet thanks beer ninja.

Hey matplat, I checked out the pseudo priming. So you reckon that saves a lot of time and/or easier than just measuring out your primer as you go?

What yeast are you using? One thing to keep in mind is that some hefe yeasts use glucose to produce banana flavours, which is good or bad depending on your tastes. Glucose priming can make a slight difference; I found it did using Munich Bavarian Wheat.

Back