Priming Grolsch bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvhorwitz

Reaction score
I'm using 16 oz. 9" glass grolsch bottles in which I'll be bottling Cooper's stout.

Fermentation has stopped for a while.

Can I safely use Cooper's carbonation drops (I was thinking of only one)? I'm afraid of bottle bombs

Brewing in Connecticut

When you say fermentation has stopped for a while, have you measured consistent specific gravity over a few days, and is it within range of expected FG.
If yes, then you should be able to proceed with one carb drop per bottle. Coopers indicate one drop per 330ml (circa 11oz) but most brewers consider that level of carbonation to be high. One will be plenty for a stout.

Yep, 1 carbonation drop is perfect in the Grolsch 475ml swingtops for most styles

When I used to bottle - I found it easier to bulk prime rather than use carb drops.

Now that I keg a I only bottle a few out of each brew - so unless it is something that is meant to be lower in carbonation I use 1 and a half carb drops for a grolsch bottle.

So if you are bottling the whole batch - look into bulk priming it is much easier and quicker.

If your only doing a few it sounds like between 1 and 1 1/2 drops per grolsch

I've only just started out but am using Grolsch bottles and bulk priming is a pretty simple process... use about 140g dextrose (based on some calculators I found online) and is definitely cheaper than using drops

Latest posts

Back