Priming buggered up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danzar

Reaction score
Hi folks

Stupid mistake at my end. I grabbed a tub of what I thought was dextrose and bottled primed a batch, only to realise six weeks later that it was maltodextrin.

Zero carbination six weeks in the bottle.

I opened one up tonight and went to add a smaller than ususal shot of dextrose, with the intention of recapping and waiting, but the contents immediately foamed out of the bottle for some reason.

Would that be because the contents are warm/room temperature? I was thinking of refrigerating them before attempting to re-prime.

Welcome your thoughts!

Cheers

Dan

Warmer beer = more likely to gush. I think you're on the money with chilling first. I'd also use the coopers trough lollies if your bottles are of uniform size

Thanks Phil.

@damo, that's what I couldn't work out. The only thing I would put it down to is a semi-active yeast given the bottles were probably 22c (it's an ale yeast).

That's just me using laymans logic though.

WIll report back on how I go with this tomorrow.

Dan

Folks, apologies for the delay in giving feedback. It was the temp. Adding dextrose while they were cold worked fine.

Didn't want to start a new thread seeing as this is on the same path, I bottled a batch of beer of beer on the weekend which I'm confident has fully fermented out.

Thinking about it today I think I may have over primed, I did bulk prime but I think I ended up with about 8.8g of white sugar per litre of beer, is this overly high or should I be safe??

Thanks

:blink:

Did you bottle in PET or glass?

I usually end up with about 4 grams for my bottles. 5 if I want a little extra fizz.

Glass, mostly crown top but a few swing tops aswell, looking at a priming calculator I'm thinking I may be looking at about 3.1 volumes of co2

Adding any of the dry crystals to beer can set off a foaming fury. Try adding dry dextrose to bulk prime a fermenter and run for your life while it goes nuts.

Best way is dissolve it by boiling and then use predetermined measure in liquid form.

Tahoose said:
Didn't want to start a new thread seeing as this is on the same path, I bottled a batch of beer of beer on the weekend which I'm confident has fully fermented out.

Thinking about it today I think I may have over primed, I did bulk prime but I think I ended up with about 8.8g of white sugar per litre of beer, is this overly high or should I be safe??

Thanks
Tahoose said:
Glass, mostly crown top but a few swing tops aswell, looking at a priming calculator I'm thinking I may be looking at about 3.1 volumes of co2
That's about right (assuming your fermenting temps have been around 20C) but that's only from the priming sugar. If your ferment hasn't completely finished, braukaiser's carbonation page equates every sg point to 1/2 a CO2 volume - are you confident enough?

It's still early days so you could put a couple of bottles in the fridge, cool to just above freezing and gently pour into PET bottles tomorrow. These can then be put with the other bottles as a way to monitor carbing progress. When the PET bottles get hard, time to degas each bottle - use a bottle opener to pry each cap just enough to start letting gas out, when done, use capper to reclamp each cap. Lay something spongy under the bottle while doing this - knocking the bottle will make it gush.

I had a batch not long ago fermented with Wy1187 and I had to do this degassing about 7 times per bottle when the last dozen bottles or so kept going (fermenting) in the bottle (some English yeasts have a habit of this). The PET bottles of this batch were showing stretch marks at the bottom!

Ed. corrected yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back