Priming Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavpk

Reaction score
hi all,
im just about to bottle my third batch, and wanted to know whats the best for priming
1. dextrose
2. dried malt extract
3. brew enhancer 1
ive been using dex but maybe i could get a better result from something else.........dunno

cheers and happy Easter :beer:

Gav

hi all,
im just about to bottle my third batch, and wanted to know whats the best for priming
1. dextrose
2. dried malt extract
3. brew enhancer 1
ive been using dex but maybe i could get a better result from something else.........dunno

cheers and happy Easter :beer:

Gav

what type of beer?

I have a pilsner I am going to bottle using Light Malt Extract.

ive heard thru various grapevines that u can prime ur bottles with honey if your lookin for that sweetness in a wheat beer etc
different beers mean different priming sugars etc

Why not do the experiment and prime one batch with a few different ingredients?

That is what I did, and now I stick to plain sugar. Easy to measure out. The end result was impossible to pick the different priming ingredients.

Do not use brew enhancers or various other brewpacks. They contain a percentage of maltodextrin which will not prime your bottles. Because they are a mix of different white powders, you may end up with all maltodextrin in one bottle. End result would be low carbonation.

its an APA with some amarillo and wheat malt extract, might be safe and use the old dextrose, with LDME do u have to use more of that or is it just the 2 teaspoons?

Gav

Why not do the experiment and prime one batch with a few different ingredients?

That is what I did, and now I stick to plain sugar. Easy to measure out. The end result was impossible to pick the different priming ingredients.

Do not use brew enhancers or various other brewpacks. They contain a percentage of maltodextrin which will not prime your bottles. Because they are a mix of different white powders, you may end up with all maltodextrin in one bottle. End result would be low carbonation.

thats what i did, but from now on i'll be using dex, i did a few bottles with LDME and it was a pain in the ass, seemed to be more sticky than dex thus sticking to the funnel and measure and took longer! i think down the track a bit i will look into kegging, i like that idea, anyway thanks for the replys everyone

cheers :beer:

Gav

ive heard thru various grapevines that u can prime ur bottles with honey if your lookin for that sweetness in a wheat beer etc
different beers mean different priming sugars etc

hi,
the missus likes that beez kneez beers, so how much honey would u use to prime a stubbie?

Gav

I've primed with honey for a wheat beer.

I use one of those squeeze honey contianers and squeeze about 1 cm into each bottle.

works fine but the honey flavour will disappear in a short amount of time. say 3 weeks. your left with a sweet beer but not the bees neez your looking for.

I don't know why but thats what seems to happen.

Also as honey has anti fungle style properties don't put in to much as it seems to kill of the yeast and your get flat beer.

BOG

i did a few bottles with LDME and it was a pain in the ass, seemed to be more sticky than dex thus sticking to the funnel

Gav I was under the impression that DME should be boiled as it contains microorganisms that may spoil your beer. From what I understand it's mashed grains that water has been evaporated from then spray dried falling onto the floor. The needs to be pasturised prior to using as a priming agent.

I may be incorrect and I'm sure pint of lager will correct anything I say that's misleading ;)

Also as honey has anti fungle style properties don't put in to much as it seems to kill of the yeast and your get flat beer.

I'd be interested in reading your source on this one... how is it that mead ferments then?

BOG

thats a good point, isnt mead made with honey? i might look into that

Gav

edit: sorry NRB, doubled up

I'd be interested in reading your source on this one... how is it that mead ferments then?

Doing this all from memory of what I've read, not from experience. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mead will ferment because just like wort for beer the must should be boiled prior to fermenting. Boiling will change the properties of many complex chemicals, and the antifungal properties of raw honey is likely to not survive an extended boil.

Back on topic, I just use table sugar with the pre-measured scoop. I tried dex once but couldn't notice any diiference. Can't wait till I can get some kegs though.

cheers,

microbe

You can make mead without boiling, you can just use campden tablets. But you do need to add yeast nutrients and acids i believe. Well, to get it to ferment in any sort of reasonable timeframe.

I have used dextrose for every batch save the last one which i used DME, which is harder to work with because of its stickiness but am yet to taste the difference, if any is there.

Still off topic, but the campden tablets , I find, aren't necessary. The nutrient for the yeast is.

I haven't tried making mead without nutrients, but it certainly appears to help the yeast.

On topic, I gave up on measuring sugar or malt and just use carbonation drops.

On topic, I gave up on measuring sugar or malt and just use carbonation drops.

I would go one step further and bulk prime - you weigh in one hit and don't have to pay much for homebrand sugar.

To answer the initial question, using plain table sugar, dextrose, DME etc all product incredibly similar results as the percentage of fermentables in the entire batch contributed by the priming addition is small. There's little to no flavour contribution.

If I run out of carb drops I've always just used table sugar. Never noticed a difference in side-by-side comparisons.

If you are looking for info on honey to prime with, do a search for "honey wheat" on the forum. There's heaps of info on it. I've bulked primed with honey (pasteurised in my oven), then mixed with boiled water and added the fermented beer to it. Was a treat and I found it sweeter than Beez Neez which is very dry. Honey is highly fermentable and from my research will create a dryness to beer if added before fermentation. Everyone has a different opinion on this, so read up and make your own decision. :ph34r:

As far as priming bottles, the best results come from bulk priming. You get a consistent carbonation across all bottles. You are adding an additional step to the process, and an additional chance of introducing an infection to your beer, so only try it if you have a very clean environment and are confident in your ability to sanitise properly.

If you want to try DME, boil it in a solution with water and add your brew to it via bulk priming. You'll get a creamier head with slower carbonation. there are calculators out there to adjust carbonation levels depending on the amount of carbonation you want. If you are doing 18.9L as I do, and like a lower carbonated brew (like I do), then 1 1/2 cups of DME (as opposed to 3/4 cup dextrose) boiled in a pint of water, cooled to temp of fermented beer, and used to bulk prime works a treat. It may take a bit longer for it to condition in the bottle, but it is worth it! :super:

Of course check out a carbonation calculator to get the proper carbonation you are looking for based on type of beer and your preference and ask for advice here at AHB. You'll most likely get varying opinions from different people here, but read it, do your research, and experiment!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. We're a community that shares our experiences, be it good and bad (mostly good), hehe. :beer:

Not an expert (yet),
BB :beerbang:

well, thats cleared things up a bit, ive decided on the next batch i'll try carbonation drops (no funnels and shit to worry about) and see how it goes, as i said i'll try to get some kegs and go that way soon,

thanks for everyones prompt replys

cheers :beer:

Gav

Gav,

I'm with you. Give 'em all a whirl and see which you prefer.

I've never tasted any difference between priming methods (dex, sugar, dme, carb drops), but due to absolute laziness I now use the carb drops, and sugar if I have none, because I'm too lazy to go down the street for replenishments. :lol:

Bulk priming requires racking out - oooooohhhhhh, too much work for this lil' black duck at the moment.........

Latest posts

Back