Priming a stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer boy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got an Irish stout ready for bottling. I"m just cautious about over carbonating the batch. I don't want it to be as fizzy as a lager. Lightly carbonated is fine.
Usually I would add 2 carbonation drops to each 750ml bottle. I'm thinking of just adding one this time around.
Interested in peoples thoughts as to how this might turn out.

Thanks or the help. Much appreicated - I can't wait to drink this one....

I've carbonated with one drop before and it was ok, but probably a little under done for the stout I made. How you considered bulk priming? That will give you a good level of control over how much fizz you get.

JD

If you have any 500ml bottles, or those pint ones that Little Creatures use, try using a single carbonation drop in one of those, works out just about perfect for English-style bitters and stouts.

Failing that, I use the standard priming spoon, but tip it on it's side so I only fill it to about 3/4 full. Not 100% consistent, I know, but will work fine until you upgrade to kegs ;)

I allways underprime stout as it continous to slowly ferment in the bottle...and I try to leave them at least 3 months before opening

Ducatiboy stu said:
I allways underprime stout as it continous to slowly ferment in the bottle...and I try to leave them at least 3 months before opening
From what I have read 1 drop per 750ml gives a smoother taste which I did to mine last week.Reading Ducatiboy stu do i have have to wait 3 mths,after we tried it out of the FV the boys & I at work where going to drop a bottle in the fridge & drink it the next day,that's how good it tasted. :lol: :super: :super:

I find 3 mnths rounds out the flavour...but hell.if it tastes good then get into it

Im about to do the same but I use table sugar and a calibrated spoon, so I should use the amount for a 330ml bottle for my 450ml grolsch bottles to achieve carbonation for irish stout?

I've done 1 drop per 640 mL bottle when wanting low carbonation and thought it was a touch too much - I was aiming pretty low though. 1 drop in 750 mL might be about right.

Back