Priming A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daviswatdawg

Reaction score
G'day,
I am fairly new to AHB and can't see if anyone has posted this topic so was hoping for some help! i recently set up a keezer and brewed an all grain APA but struggled with carbing it up. Now im thinking i will put my beer through a secondary ferment in the keg. for a different taste and i hear it infuses the beer better producing smaller bubbles. I want to hold back some wort from my mash, then use that to prime my kegs. Any idea on the amount and the gravity needed to prime a 19L keg?

Don't know why you would want to make it so complicated!

Just add 100 g of table sugar dissolved in boiling water to the keg during the kegging process. Pressurize it up with your gas bottle to make sure there will be no leaks and in a week you will have beautifully carbed beer!

i hear it infuses the beer better producing smaller bubbles.

Yeah..
Don't believe everything you hear. I've tried bulk priming kegs for that reason alone (as opposed to gassing) and succeeded only in adding another week to my turnaround.
It may be my imagination, but beers I've bottled and forced myself to leave for a good few months seem to have finer bubbles than young beers.
There's a gazillion variables however.

Like the previous caller say's, why make life hard for yourself.

CO2 is CO2..... varying bubble sizes with different sugars & force carbing is one of those great urban myths....or is it :ph34r:......... B)

Having just started kegging I have noticed the bubbles appear different.... but can't say it makes a difference in taste.

Could also be the fact that I'm giving the kegs a serious work out ;)

CO2 is CO2..... varying bubble sizes with different sugars & force carbing is one of those great urban myths....or is it :ph34r:......... B)

I force carb and usually just get one giant bubble in the glass

B)

Someone actually cared enough to write a paper on the subject - for the Clear Creek Science Fair, no less..

http://www25.tok2.com/home/shimada/clearla..._CO2_bubble.pdf

Still, a bloke down at the pub reckons if you crush up your priming sugar into tiny crystals it makes the bubbles smaller..

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like i was goin to make life hard for myself! Probably just go with the sugar and try my best to leave a keg to condition for a few months. As for the size of the bubbles maybe it will just be one of lifes mysteries, and maybe its better that way ;)

my brew soft ware tells me you only need 65g to carb a 19L keg to 2.5 volumes

Why would you want to let a keg condition for a few months? And why use sugar anyway - to save the cost of gas? Gas is cheap. You can gas dozens of kegs for the cost of a six pack of VB. If cost is a problem then give up HB and buy Henninger.
Wow I'm beginning to understand how Bum got to be the way he is :huh:

If it's an ale, just carb it up under pressure for a few days and drink.
If it's a lager and you have a cold fridge that can take it, chill and store for maybe 3 weeks then carb...

It's easy. No need to complicate for no apparent benefit.

i do it for convenience. ive got 10 kegs but only 2 spots to keep them cold in the fridge. it means that i have more than 2 kegged at any one time.
also it extends my gas bottle out to about 6 months between refills

Latest posts

Back