Pride Of Ringwood - 1kg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
POR will impart a nice woody flavour as a late addition in malty brews that get a bit of aging.

POR is a great hop. A lot of people will bag it out without having even tried it. It is not POR iso hops ffs... I love it as a bittering addition for my house APA, it is earthy and smooth! Any Coopers styles, and even most darker beers work well with it.

A bit off topic but a lot of guys confuse isohop with hop extract. The hop extracts produced by CUB for their beers are mostly based on POR but there are several varieties that have different aroma and flavour characteristics. For example the base beer for VB and Melbourne Bitter is the same but dressed with different extracts, and the result is chalk and cheese if you are a regular mega drinker.

Take a beer such as Bavaria, sniff the nice Euro hop burst and the flavour of the Saaz or whatever and then read the label. Hops Extract.

edit: the reason CUB went to extract was to even out the swings in quality from hop season to hop season that they were experiencing back in the 60s in order to brew a consistent product. Nothing to do with saving money or anything, they actually had to spend millions in today's money building a whole new feckin factory ;) . /edit

Isohop is an extract from hop extract, just the pure bittering component without aroma or flavour, giving that "dead" bittering you find in abominations like Carlton Cold Filtered.

It's really a tribute to POR that they can obtain a range of distinctive flavours and aromas from it. When used fresh it can be very subtle and satisfying.

Yep. Good old POR. If used properly it is excellent. Goes very well with SAAZ. I think a lot of people who hate it have prob used to much and ruined their first experience with POR

Like any hop, it needs to be used correctly

I reckon it's more likely they've just drunk carlton draught and presumed that's as good as it gets.

That said, I don't really like galaxy so I can understand there'd be brewers who know what they are doing and genuinely don't like it. Doesn't make it a bad hop though.

Agree it's a better hop than some seem willing to give it credit for, and as it's pretty much the Cooper's signature (seems to be in just about every beer they make except vintage) it clearly isn't a bad hop if used correctly

Kind of feel sorry for it

[SIZE=12pt]I bought a kilo of POR (as no one else wanted any) in a recent club BB so I can try my hand at brewing few Aussie/Coopers style ales.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I used it for the first time in my last brew with S04, I’m sampling it now and really quite liking it. I’m re culturing coopers yeast for my next brew. [/SIZE]

Quite a few years back after my first few kit and kilo brews I decided top step it up into the big leagues by mistreating some crystal in hot water and dry-hopping my beer a couple of days out from bottling.

For some reason I can still recall sitting a K&K PoR dry-hopped beer as being relatively (to my untrained palate) interesting and good. It's an experiment that I'm going to put to mind to mind to repeat in the near future.

Maybe PoR has a somewhat undeserved reputation as being a mega-swill or bittering only hop - tall poppy syndrome if you will. I wonder if it could see some sort of resurgence in popularity in the next two years as global demand increase for more popular (dare I say it - American IPA favourite) varieties.

Not trying to start a war, I just think it'd be a shame to ever throw hops in the bin rather than consider stepping outside the boundaries.

I'm going through heaps of POR flowers lately, have used them in the last 5 beers I made in various amounts and timings. I love the aroma every time I open a 20g vac pack and it also reflects in the finished product.

Thing is, I bought these POR flowers in a bulk buy from good old Wolfy more than 5 years ago. Divided into small amounts, vac packed and always kept frozen these flowers seem to be as fresh as ever.

So I disagree with the 'has to be fresh though' comments.

manticle said:
Bittering additions absolutely do add flavour but PoR (provided it's fresh) is good in the right beer. Don't malign the hop because it's present in some well known, fairly average beers.

Coopers best extra stout uses it and I can think of far worse examples of a foreign extra.

OP - why not try making the entire range of coopers ales - everything from mid to green to stout to vintage?
I agree in that Coopers Stout is a pretty good beer, but I brew double batches. Would you personally want to drink 70 odd pints of a stout that you brewed that was identical in everyway with EKG @ 60mins or PoR @ 60mins?

That’s what brewing comes down to for me, trying to brew the best tasting beer every single time.

neal32 said:
Think about it. It's like $25 worth of hops, the price of two beers in a nightclub. Or you could make hundreds of litres of beer that would 100% be better beers if you didn't use POR.

And if someone out there is going to say that bittering additions don’t add significant flavour…...just don’t
you're kidding me. anyone who calls fresh POR hops bad i believe hasn't used them, or to their capacity. fresh POR tastes simply amazing. at 60 mins or a touch late in the boil.

I use POR as standard bittering, dont have any issues. As has been said before it goes great in any aussie clone (your standard lagers and coopers clones)

neal32 said:
I agree in that Coopers Stout is a pretty good beer, but I brew double batches. Would you personally want to drink 70 odd pints of a stout that you brewed that was identical in everyway with EKG @ 60mins or PoR @ 60mins?

That’s what brewing comes down to for me, trying to brew the best tasting beer every single time.
I do just that all the time in my 60L fermenter as I only have one fermenting fridge for summer brewing. And the POR brews are often the best tasting beer.

Latest posts

Back