Pride Of Ringwood - 1kg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
So I have a kilo of POR hops sitting in my fridge...I kinda wish they were Cascade!!

Anyway, How To Brew describes them as "Poor, citric aroma; Clean bittering hop". They don't really substitute in for any of the high use hops I am into, have found they will substitute for Cluster, Galena and Brewers Gold.

Has anyone ever subbed in POR for any of the above ones...or have any great POR based recipes they can suggest?

Cheers

Chris

Easy drinking pale
Ale Malt
bit of crystal and wheat
POR bittering to 18 IBU
Galaxy late for 6 or 7 IBU
US 05
or WLP940...Mexican lager

dirty...fruity....delish....

I use in CPA or Carlton Draught clones

That's a shiteload of POR to get through, especially being a 'bittering' hop.

Brew big, brew often, young padawan.

Id sell it off and buy what you want, plenty of people will buy it for bittering or making aussie style beers, if its at the right price of course.

TheBigD said:
Id sell it off and buy what you want, plenty of people will buy it for bittering or making aussie style beers, if its at the right price of course.
They were a gift from a mate, along with some other varieties, so I dont want to sell them.

Happy to swap if someone is interested?

Think about it. It's like $25 worth of hops, the price of two beers in a nightclub. Or you could make hundreds of litres of beer that would 100% be better beers if you didn't use POR.

And
if someone out there is going to say that bittering additions don’t add significant flavour…...just don’t

1Kg is quiet a lot to get through however I think PoR still has it's place. Perhaps in a more malt or yeast driven beer.

Simple session ale (just something on the fly I can think of right now)
70% ale or pils
20% Munich
5% caraaroma
5% wheat
PoR to 20 IBU
Your faveroite UK strain.

PoR definitely has its place and is perfect for making some light ales for mates that love shit beer, it doesn't mean you have to make shit beer but if you do a light pale ale with PoR for bittering and little else it'll be a beer you can enjoy* and that they'll love*.

*Enjoyment and love not garanteed.

Nothing wrong with POR in the right beer. I brewed a double batch of Coopers Sparkling style last night .. the POR aroma around the house was awesome. I love this hop as long as it's fresh, and preferably in the form of flowers.

Coopers just wouldn't be Coopers without the POR.

Oh and the judges in 2013 awarded my Aussie Lager second place Nationally in the Pale Lagers.

technobabble66 said:
The guy's got 1 kg! That's 1000g's, baby!

POR (S)MASH DIPA !!
I'm fairly certain that there was a similar beer entered in the "other" style in the NSW State Comp last year.

It was one of the last bottles remaining after people took the others that they liked.

Not a bad beer at all, but an Imperial Aussie Pale Ale that was not entirely appealing to my palate.

Yeah nothing wrong with PoR in a good Aussie style ale or lager, I always like to have one of those on tap for hot days or friends that don't like "that fancy craft shiite you make"......

1kg will be fine, split into four 250g bags, vacuum seal and use as your bittering addition instead of using other hops, at 60+minutes, it is a good bittering hop.

Think about it. It's like $25 worth of hops, the price of two beers in a nightclub. Or you could make hundreds of litres of beer that would 100% be better beers if you didn't use POR.

And if someone out there is going to say that bittering additions don’t add significant flavour…...just don’t
Bittering additions absolutely do add flavour but PoR (provided it's fresh) is good in the right beer. Don't malign the hop because it's present in some well known, fairly average beers.

Coopers best extra stout uses it and I can think of far worse examples of a foreign extra.

OP - why not try making the entire range of coopers ales - everything from mid to green to stout to vintage?

manticle said:
OP - why not try making the entire range of coopers ales - everything from mid to green to stout to vintage?
Good way to get a few uses out of WLP009 as well..

Back