Pressurised fermentation/spunding in a Type A keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rehabs_for_quitters said:
Excellent info thanks, going to be setting the controller at 16 deg and 15 PSI on the PRV and let it do its thing looking forward to giving it a go
Yep, thanks everyone for the information.

RFQ, wouldn't you want to start your fermentation at more traditional lager temps and only allow the temperature to rise once the pressure had built up?

I'm still not too sure what I'll do with my set up as I'll be pressurising to 20 PSI with O2 from the start. I'm thinking, as Dent suggests, pitch at 6 deg then hit with O2 to 20 PSI, give it maybe 24 hours, allowing to come up to 9 deg, release pressure, set PRV to 15 PSI and wait for CO2 to build up to that level, then raise temp to 16 deg.

Yeah I suppose it certainly would make sense not sure what I was thinking there I must have been sober

Just got me one of these from craftbrewer but also experiencing a couple of problems during a pressure test.

Firstly, having hooked it up to my fermenter and then pressuring up through another valve, I find it very difficult to set the desired maximum pressure... to set it I blew in around 15 psi from co2 bottle then undo the regulating head screw at the end by hand till I vent to desired pressure, then tighten just a bit till I can hear no more gas release.... sounds easy but is not repeatable... I will try taping it up once I'm satisfied my "guess" at correct setting is correct

Also, I notice a 3-4 psi difference between what the co2 bottle regulator is telling me vs the pressure gauge on this device.... I tend to believe the regulator gauge as it seems to be spot on when I use it for carbonation purposes. I don't mind a bit of systematic error but this seems way off to be acceptable....

anybody else with any experience ?

pressure-gauge.jpg

would it be possible to do this without having a gauge at the spunding valve side?
ie. unscrew to vent some gas with the co2 line still attached but the bottle closed and check pressure using the co2 reg? Then just set and forget

Put down first pressurised fermentation last night. Setting the relief pressure was tricky and had to guess on systematic error of crappy pressure gauge. Woke in the morning to find it releasing gas nice and slow.... from reading 3-4 psi under what I think it should be I am hoping I am fermenting at around 14-15 psi, 11 deg C...

Am very keen to see if any quality difference in final product...

At the risk of copping a bagging from the Williamswarn detractors if I understand you correctly why are you going to add CO2 to pressurise the keg?

If you set out to ferment under pressure and set your spudding vale to about 1.5 bar the system(fermenting wort) will build up to that pressure within 24hours and hold it throughout the fermentation period and your finished beer will be naturally carbonated to what ever level you set your spudding valve to. I find most/all my beers nicely carbonated by setting the WW variable pressure relief valve at 1.5 bar(15psi) from the start to the finish of the fermentation

Cheers

Wobbly
Hi, I need a bit of advice. I'm confused I've put a brew down in my 25l fermenter (WW) a day ago, Iunscrewed the PRV 2 full turns. The pressure thus far has reached 2bar. The question is, do I release the pressure 1.5 bar by pressing the PRV or do I release the pressure by opening the PRV another ½ turn or so and keep it at that and see if it builds up to more than 1.5bar

Hi Saxman, hope your aware this a 10 year old post, but as it happens I have one of these WW units, and a very nice bit of kit they are too!
You need to back off your PRV to the desired pressure. I found about 15~20psi is about right at approx 20 degrees C for Ale fermenting.
Wobbly said 1.5bar is 15psi, this is incorrect, 1 bar =14.5 psi, so you want about 1~1.4 bar (assuming the gauge is correct).

Latest posts

Back