Pressure Cooker For Steralising Vials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend you to buy a pressure cooker if you want to have proper sterilization. I have mine for 9 years now and it was worth every penny (actually cent he he )... and besides sterilization you can use it for cooking :)

From Livingstone. Needs a bit of searching in their lab stuff though to find the right ones. Mine are 10ml clear with yellow screw top, sterile.

Just stumbled over the invoice and thought I post the item number etc. for the sterile vials for anyone interested.

TS9716SU-100 10ML PS FLAT BTM TUBE W/YLW SCRW CAP,STRL 100/BAG 1 $18.85 $1.89 $20.74

seems my (Aldi job I think) PCooker decided to self destruct this morning, took the lid off and a bit of plastic fell out... :blink:

so... with caution in mind, its time for a new one, last one was a 3lt I think, but I'd like to be able to do bigger amounts (doesnt it always go like this?

I mostly use mine for sterilizing water in bulk to use in yeast washing/splitting/freezing, I'll pressure cook the water then store in empty 3lt milk containers.

sooo..

LINKY 1

THIS ONE would be f'king awesome for size, but a bit of overkill I think for my needs

cooker fault.JPG

Image attached fro others with an aldi cooker to check their bits and pieces.

SWMBO is rather paranoid about PC's to start with... I don think I can make it fly other than new...

While not a pressure cooker, there are a swathe of baby steriliser units that use superheated steam to do the same thing. Could be an alternative.

Mardoo said:
Op shops. That's where I found my 10l.
I will second the comment of Mardoo......I bought a 1970s model pressure cooker (PC) on Ebay. Picked it up for $10. 10 litres and in perfect condition.

I know there is plenty of fear out there about PCs, but if you watch them, and follow instructions, the old units work perfectly well. Most things fail to work if you mistreat them.

I use my PC for sterilising brewing gear, but the also do the best lamb curries. Pile everything in (lamb, onion, curry paste, garlic, carrots, potato) and cook for 30 minutes. Lamb falling off the bone in a wonderful sauce.

Have a swing mate, great fun for almost nothing.

Yob said:
seems my (Aldi job I think) PCooker decided to self destruct this morning, took the lid off and a bit of plastic fell out... :blink:

so... with caution in mind, its time for a new one, last one was a 3lt I think, but I'd like to be able to do bigger amounts (doesnt it always go like this?

I mostly use mine for sterilizing water in bulk to use in yeast washing/splitting/freezing, I'll pressure cook the water then store in empty 3lt milk containers.

sooo..

LINKY 1

THIS ONE would be f'king awesome for size, but a bit of overkill I think for my needs

attachicon.gif
cooker fault.JPG

Image attached fro others with an aldi cooker to check their bits and pieces.
Aren't you worried about a lacto infection from the 3l milk container or are they unused ?

I bought SWMBO a 6 U.S. galon pressure cooker a few years ago

https://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=01781

(No ulterior motive whatsoever ;), no sir, pay no attention to the yeast laboratory in the corner...)

She loves it for canning, curries, beans, soups, multiple chickens, or even just as a big pot.

It works fine on a regular stove but really comes to temp fast when she uses my Italian burner ;)

Presto is the traditional pressure canner brand in the U.S., where they are mental about ball/mason jar canning.

Any who, you can find them new on eBay etc, spare parts are easy since they've been making the same one for decades!

Pity, They were much cheaper a few years ago when the dollar wasn't in the toilet.

PS: yes, like the one Yob was dreaming of ;)

Port! Used to run a 50/50 of seppeltsfield and brown brothers but brown brothers don't do top up port anymore so I've moved to a 50/50blend of seppeltsfield/draytons. Just top up as required. Bloody beautiful been blending for 3 and half years now. [emoji106]

Mmmm...monkey-blood. I use a pressure cooker for starter wort, bulk prime juice, sterile yeast washing water and beef stew with dumplings. Brilliant instrument.

Yea I wouldn't mind a little one for cooking, the 21 litre is to big unless Ya want to cook a big arse corned beef silverside for a huge party. I only use it for sterilizing 1litre jars of grain for growing mushrooms. Another good hobby when time permits.

C'mon, Yob...

You KNOW you want that big fella...lots of practical applications.... ;)

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/82157

I have one of the Aldi ones like yours Yob. I bought it for brewing purposes but now only use it for cooking, and then often have trouble getting it to seal.
I sterilize my vials with phos. acid now, I make up a starter from my wyeast and take off 10 vials and that's it. Works for me and has done for many years.

Latest posts

Back