Pre Brew Steeping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hassles

Reaction score
hmm, been pondering 'bout steepin' some CaraPils to add mouthfeel to a brew. I am wonderin' if I can steep the CaraPils (in a small quantity of water) and then stir in some corn syrup and THEN use this mixture to prime a batch of beer. If I do this will the CaraPils have the "desired" impact upon the brew? AM also wonderin' if I could pre-steep the CaraPils and add this at a later time to the brew.

hmm, been pondering 'bout steepin' some CaraPils to add mouthfeel to a brew. I am wonderin' if I can steep the CaraPils (in a small quantity of water) and then stir in some corn syrup and THEN use this mixture to prime a batch of beer. If I do this will the CaraPils have the "desired" impact upon the brew? AM also wonderin' if I could pre-steep the CaraPils and add this at a later time to the brew.

Carapils and corn syrup are largely unfermentable so not really suitable for priming (that is how they give the body/mouthfeel).

You can add corn syrup at the end of the brew (I would leave it a day or 2 after adding as it has a small ammount of fermentability) but I dont really see the point as its another risk for infection, I would just add it at the start (same with the carapils).

If using carapils, after steeping remove the grain and boil the liquid to kill any nasties that might have been on the grain.

It is my intention to bulk prime with a corn syrup solution. I also wish to steep some carapils for their benefit. I would like to steep the carapils, carry this solution to the extract based brew and add. Seeing I am adding the priming solution I was 'wondering' if I could add both solutions at the one time eg: after the fermentation as the brew is being made "elsewhere" and I won't have the opportunity to steep the grains beforehand when the beer is being batched. The beer is to be batched at a brew-your-own micro brewery (in my absence) hence my original query. I'll be there to bottle and instead of chilling and injecting CO2 I wish to bulk prime with the corn syrup as mentioned. I just wanted to know if I steep the carapils could this solution also be added after fermentation and provide the desired effect upon the beer?

thanks

Glenn

Mate, I would imagine if your going to a brew-it-on-site place that you would not be able to add anything to the brew at any stage other than your
original ingredient. You may be able to avoid the co2 priming and add sugar to each bottle as you go but cant see being able to 'bulk' prime.

If you want to play around and make your own beer, DO IT YOURSELF at home, from scratch and **** the brew-on-site.

The carapils will not have the same effect after fermantation, you will just get, IMO, a nasty grain taste without your desired body...thats part of the fermentation process.
If you want more body choose a different beer.

Hassles,

Just get your local bop to use carapils in the original recipe, even the most basic bop uses speciallty grains. If they won't oblige, take your business elsewhere.

cheers Ross

Back