Possible second brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Kirk

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
CK here. Got a coopers brew kit for christmas and am ready to bottle the lager that came with it. Excited for a first tasting regardless if its horse piss or not. Thinking about my second go already, want to keep it pretty simple for a while yet but at the moment i am really liking fruity pale ale. By this i mean 150 lashes, sierra nevada etc, had a sail and anchor one today that was great...

My question is, does the coopers pale ale can have this fruity taste to it? if not is there a reasonably simple way (broken down for an absolute novice) to achieve this taste on the cheap/ease.

Thanks in advance
CK

The fruity taste is most likely derived from late hop additions. Let us know what town you're in and we can work out an appropriate place for you to purchase the hops you need to produce flavours similar to those found in the commercial examples you cited.

The Coopers Pale can does not have this taste.
A simple dry hop - adding hops to the fermenter after fermentation has stopped - for a few days can be cheap and achieve this.
It worked well for me with a hop called Citra, but I did a small boil as well.

goomboogo said:
Let us know what town you're in and we can work out an appropriate place for you to purchase the hops you need to produce flavours similar to those found in the commercial examples you cited.
I'm about 30 k's west of geelong. That would be best. I have friends and family in Ballarat may be possible. Melbourne is a bit of a stretch.
I have a brew centre in Geelong im not sure what he carries maybe some pellets, I heard one of the brewers at work say that there is a supply place out at Wallington. Anyone in the geelong area know where that one is?

indica86 said:
A simple dry hop - adding hops to the fermenter after fermentation has stopped
Do you just hoof it in the fermenter? does it need to be in a bag? My experiences with brewing pretty much are the first coopers kit and a few home brew videos.

indica86 said:
but I did a small boil as well.
I am sure i will do this down the track but at the moment I want to stick to K & K with minimal extra equipment due to budgetary constraints. Blown my wad on Christmas with young kids, plus its the young blokes birthday this sunday :lol:

My experience with hops is so far limited, but as has been suggested, a simple dry hope with something like Citra or Cascade Is a very easy method. A hops tea ( steep a hops tea bag in water, just like you would tea) will also add extra flavour. You would do this and add it to your primary ferment. Or better yet do both!

You could use a hops tea bag for both to keep it simple, but once you get into it, buying hops in bulk and using a hops sock or similar device is far more cost effective .

Captain Kirk said:
I'm about 30 k's west of geelong. That would be best. I have friends and family in Ballarat may be possible. Melbourne is a bit of a stretch.
I have a brew centre in Geelong im not sure what he carries maybe some pellets, I heard one of the brewers at work say that there is a supply place out at Wallington. Anyone in the geelong area know where that one is?
Wallington Rural. Excellent selection of all things brewing.

Rgds

Linford

Hey Captain Kirk
TBH at this stage I reckon that a small short boil is a safer bet than dry hopping (less risk of infecting the brew). As for equipment you don't need much, a hot plate, a pot and a strainer (although not 100% necessary). It is ideal to boil in a water malt mix of 1.040, but my first boil of Cascade (25g for 15 minutes) was done in 3litres of plain water and it turned out awesome.

Just bring the water to the boil (if you want to do it 100% right add 300g of light dry malt to 3 litres of water) throw your hops in and set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off remove the pot from the heat and strain it into your FV when you would normally add your hot water.

VonScott is on the money.
Cascade, Citra, Centennial are all great.
Suggestion -
Box of Cooper's BE2, mix half in 5 litres water and bring to boil.
Add 25g of one of the C hops, after 10 minutes, another 25g. Turn off and strain after 5 minutes.
Add that to your fermenter with the remaining BE2 + Coopers APA can. Mix and add cold water to top up to 23litres @ 18° to 20° and pitch the yeast.
Next time try a different hop.
That will take maybe 15minutes more and cost $5 extra for a vastly superior beer.

VonScott said:
at this stage I reckon that a small short boil is a safer bet than dry hopping (less risk of infecting the brew).
dry hopping should't open you up to an infection… hops are anti-bacterial.

And yes, hoof it into the brew.
Make sure you say "hoof" when you do.

VonScott said:
Hey Captain Kirk
TBH at this stage I reckon that a small short boil is a safer bet than dry hopping (less risk of infecting the brew). As for equipment you don't need much, a hot plate, a pot and a strainer (although not 100% necessary). It is ideal to boil in a water malt mix of 1.040, but my first boil of Cascade (25g for 15 minutes) was done in 3litres of plain water and it turned out awesome.

Just bring the water to the boil (if you want to do it 100% right add 300g of light dry malt to 3 litres of water) throw your hops in and set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off remove the pot from the heat and strain it into your FV when you would normally add your hot water.
Excuse my ignorance. I dont know what FV means, and the glossary of terms link is broken

indica86 said:
And yes, hoof it into the brew.
Make sure you say "hoof" when you do.
I think i will have to, the "recipe/technique" you have written will be the way I do it I reckon.

Ill post back in a month or so when I put the brew on :D

Spiesy said:
dry hopping should't open you up to an infection… hops are anti-bacterial.
Unless you dry hop when you pitch the yeast you have to open the FV (fermenting vessel) to add the hops. That is where the risk is. Just thinking for a new brewer it is better to leave the FV sealed up.

I knew I was doing something wrong Indica. I wasn't saying "hoof". Thanks for that tip.

indica86 said:
VonScott is on the money.
Cascade, Citra, Centennial are all great.
Suggestion -
Box of Cooper's BE2, mix half in 5 litres water and bring to boil.
Add 25g of one of the C hops, after 10 minutes, another 25g. Turn off and strain after 5 minutes.
Add that to your fermenter with the remaining BE2 + Coopers APA can. Mix and add cold water to top up to 23litres @ 18° to 20° and pitch the yeast.
Next time try a different hop.
That will take maybe 15minutes more and cost $5 extra for a vastly superior beer.
This will be my next brew, what temperature should i ferment at? how long for? just put the bottles away in a cupboard for a month or so?

Kirko, I get all my hops and yeast from HopDealzAustralia and they're pretty well priced.

Try to brew it at 18c if you can for around 10-12 days, and throw the bottles in the cupboard for upwards of 4 weeks when you're done. Try to refrigerate them for at least a week standing upright before drinking.

Latest posts

Back