Porter recipe..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Looks good. Trying to play around with ianh's spreadsheet to see what I can come up with. Might throw your recipe in there and see!

Since the demise of the Morgans chocolate specialty LME the best way now to get some chocolate flavour is to steep some chocolate grain. So since steeping is essential you may as well add some light crystal grain as well. This is my standard Porter recipe that I created to celebrate the arrival of our little girl.

1.7 kg Muntons Nut Brown Ale
1.0 kg Morgans Caramalt LME
1.5 kg Coopers Dark LME
0.3 kg Crystal grain ( Light, medium, Dark whatever crystal you like ) steeped at 65 deg C for 30 min
25 g Fuggles Hop Pellets ( 15g boiled 20 min, 15 g boiled 10 min)
50 g Goldings Hop pellets ( 15 g boiled 20 min, 15 g boiled 10 min, 20 g steeped in hot wort or at flame out )

So just add 0.25 kg of Chocolate grain to the crystal in the steeping step and you have you Choc Porter.

I usually add more than just the crystal grain, I go crazy with all sorts of different specialty grains to give it a unique character each time.
The Muntons kit yeast is pretty good, use that as a first step or go for Safale if you wish.

Reposted with some line breaks, they got lost the 1st time. Cheers!

This thread is relevant to my interests.

So many hop options. Very confusing. Oh well, may as well try them all

Charlie Miso said:
So many hop options. Very confusing. Oh well, may as well try them all
They're really not that important in a porter. It's more a malt-driven beer.

Wether you chose to use Fuggles or EKG etc, probably won't make a massive impact on the beer.
Unless you're setting out to make an American Porter, which would have a lot more hop character displayed.

Seeing a lot of Cascade out there as an option. But I guess that's a more American style

Charlie Miso said:
Seeing a lot of Cascade out there as an option. But I guess that's a more American style
Coopers have discovered Cascade in their recent Old Brown Dog recipe pack. I've just bottled it and the leftovers tasted great, even at this early stage.

Cascade in a black beer is really nice.

Maybe Coopers read this thread with their latest recipe pack offering:

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/67/

Could do with a packet of hops though.

I have grabbed all my ingredients of various suppliers and hopefully tonight I will throw down the following:

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
1kg Dark Dry Malt
200g Chocolate Malt 1200
250g Medium Crystal 120

25g EKG @15min.

The spreadsheet comes up pretty good as a Robust Porter Style.

Pretty excited about this one.

Hopefully I can get the kids into bed quick smart as it will be my only opportunity this weekend!

Tasted my recent Porter coming out of the fermenter last weekend whilst kegging and bottling... sooooooo good.

My problem now, is trying to finish my IPA or APA in order to make some room for it to hit my taps.

Life is hard.

Latest posts

Back