Port Macquarie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalminer

Reaction score
Hi guys

I will be spending the weekend in Port Macquarie next Fri Sat Sun (Fri 31/1/14) with the better half for our 45th anniversary

Any suggestions as to nice accomodation, dining (and drinking - of course) would be greatly appreciated.

Also any areas to be avoided (too old to defend myself :D )

Cheers

edit -date

The beach house hotel and the wine bar are (were?) the pick if the bars. Or at least they were when I used to have an involvement with a lady who used to FIFO to Port for Country energy. Both have a reasonable range of Euro beers, but not much local craft. The only pub to avoid is the one right on the corner where the Town Green and the Beach House are.

Last time I was there there was some yank that started a fancy restaurant up in the sandcastles complex, it had a very interesting wine list, but a boring beer choice and was well overpriced for what it was. It's not hard to get a half decent meal in Port though. I like Whalebone Wharf for seafood and the restaurant at Cassegrain's Winery for fancy.

Agree with Fat *******. The pub he is telling you to avoid is the Macquarie Hotel. Beach House has some good beers on tap.

Good breakfast and coffee at the Milk Bar near town beach.

Rambo said:
http://www.blackduckbrewery.com.au/
http://www.thelittlebrewingcompany.com.au/

There are also these places if you can convince the better half it's romantic.

Fat ******* said:
The beach house hotel and the wine bar are (were?) the pick if the bars. Or at least they were when I used to have an involvement with a lady who used to FIFO to Port for Country energy. Both have a reasonable range of Euro beers, but not much local craft. The only pub to avoid is the one right on the corner where the Town Green and the Beach House are.

Last time I was there there was some yank that started a fancy restaurant up in the sandcastles complex, it had a very interesting wine list, but a boring beer choice and was well overpriced for what it was. It's not hard to get a half decent meal in Port though. I like Whalebone Wharf for seafood and the restaurant at Cassegrain's Winery for fancy.

Thanks guys for the info

After 45 years she has become accustomed to my ways, Rambo, I think I can fit in a visit to something brew related.

cheers

The Beach House recently changed hands and the new drinks list & menu is on their facebook page/timeline photos

Cheers
David

Cassegrain winery. Top notch wines. Really good resteraunt.

We went past maybe 15 years ago and stopped in on our way to somewhere else for a weeks holiday. Bought a mixed case. Drank the lot over the week and stopped in on the way back to buy more. Joined their wine club and have been recieving cases every few months ever since. Never a bad one.

Cheers
Dave

For room supplies, there's a Dans right in the CBD.

+1 for the Beach House, had some good euro and a hefe or two on tap last time.

Indian place Maharaja at the end of Clarence St is pretty good for a curry and a kingfisher.

Edit: Macquarie is perfectly OK if you are into pokies, keno, Sky Racing and loves ya Tooheys. :icon_drool2:

As a local, I endorse what's been said so far.

Finnians Tavern, next door to Dans' carpark also has some decent beers on tap or in the bottle from time to time.
The Pier at the bottom end of Clarence Street also serves interesting beers. As far as I know, it is associated with the Beach House Café.

Black Duck is set up better for a visit, you can get a basic lunch there, as well as have some of their now quite wide range of beers. Only open Thursday to Sunday, closed other days.
Little Brewing ( Wicked Elf etc) only has a tasting bar for purchases, it's not a serving bar or a food outlet.

Latest posts

Back