Places To Visit Over Easter (port Macq -> Parramatta)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+ a few for Potters (Havent been in a while tho)
+ A load for Wicked Elf (the Tripple is beautiful)

sponge,

Cassegrain is a mid size outfit, but with a relatively small tasting room downstairs. Nothing as big as the mega ones in the Hunter. I'm sure it will suit mrs sponge.

If you get a little further north, check out The Federal Hotel in Bellingen

They've got Bellingen Brewing Co's beers on tap, the Black Pig Porter is quite nice :)

Guys, Check out Six String Brewery at Erina here on the Central Coast of NSW. Well worth a visit.
Darren.

I have dropped in at black duck a couple times on the trip up/down.
Address is on their website, top of "get it where" page.

Its about 1km from Wicked Elf

Cheers for the responses fellas. I was hoping to visit both black duck and little brewing but with us only being there for a day before heading up to surfers, we may not get the chance, especially with the winery visit as well.

I may also have to check out the federal hotel and grab a little selection to bring up to qld.

sponge said:
Cheers for the responses fellas. I was hoping to visit both black duck and little brewing but with us only being there for a day before heading up to surfers, we may not get the chance, especially with the winery visit as well.

I may also have to check out the federal hotel and grab a little selection to bring up to qld.
They are literally up the road from each other, I had a taster at Little Brewing then went to Black Duck for a good yarn.

Little Brewing is very corporate* - You have a quick taste test of each then its over. Not allowed to walk around the brewery and no photos allowed. Very strict. (Lots of mentions of secret ingredients and classified schedules)

Black Duck to me was where the fun started, Had a chat for an hour or two and a sample 4 pack. Very inlightening - this was during the brewery construction. The bowling lane tables are great!

*Note, this was when they were trying to get approval to build a sitting down area - no idea if its been complete or not.

Yea a quick check on the maps and they're quite close to each other indeed.. I think our issue is we probably won't be driving up from Wollongong til around 8-9am (my work xmas party is the day before at the races so decided against leaving super early just in case I end up a little worse for wear) so wouldn't be getting up there til mid afternoon, depending upon traffic. If there's time, I'll definitely be aiming to get to both breweries.

Mrs sponge also just mentioned that the winery that had been mentioned to her was actually bago vineyards, not Cassegrain as I originally thought. Has anyone been to either and recommend one over the other?

I've been to Bago winery.

It's off the beaten track just south of Wauchope. You will have about 2 km of dirt road to travel to get there once you turn off Bago Road south of Wauchope. There are signs to guide you..
Bago winery is much more rustic than Cassegrain. I don't rate their wines as highly.
One thing Bago does have is a new maze. Probably will amuse the kids (if you have any).

Back