POR not being produced anymore?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeintmba

Reaction score
I went to buy some Pride Of Ringwood today and was told that it was not being produced anymore. Apparently, (as I was told) the big breweries use isohops for bittering and there is no market for it anymore. Sounds a bit suss to me! Anybody know anymore about this?

Doubtful, surely the heritage alone would keep it alive. Aren't the ISO hops extracted from POR hops anyway which would mean they still need to grow them?

Apparently POR hasn't been used for a long time, most hopping in Lion Brews for example is Superpride.

Also Isohop isn't hop extract. It's an extract from the extract and is just the bittering component so your supplier was using a term without actually knowing what it means.

Hop extract can be quite aromatic and flavourful, just crack one of the cheaper Euro lagers that use hop extracts made from Euro varieties and you'll get a nice hop note.

Has been discussed extensively recently.

ISOhop is an extract, it's just an extract of pre-isomerised AAs and done more efficiently, via supercritical CO2.

We used to joke that if you wanted to be a millionaire for about a day you could go and sell the technology to the cocaine cartels.

I'm sure I saw members here growing POR? I may have to find a free meter of space to just keep one going for the sake of it.
I would like a POR rhizome.

I thought it hadnt been grown commercially in australia for at least a few years

Thanks for the input guys. And here I was thinking I was being fed bullshit. It is a shame the hop that was used in so many Aussie beers has been relegated to the sidelines.

I've been getting hold of it, seems fresh as well.
Someone must still be growing it.
I know the big HPA pulled there POR out of the ground.
I've got a nice plant going that may soon become much more attractive.

Maybe just not grown by HPA who seem to be the main avenue for hops for the home brew market.

Latest posts

Back