Point Of Two Can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
The Noosa country show in Pomona Tallgum?
Yeh Batz thats the one, its held aroung Sept, not flash but a bit of fun. They have meeting about every 6 weeks at Pomona :chug: and share a few home brews.

For a bit of a "lark" I made a two can screamer a couple of weeks ago using the coles draught kit. Holy shit - the pucker factor made my face look more like a cats bum!! I think the bitterness level is moderating a bit now (or I'm getting used to it) but it's still very bitter.

On the positive though. I love the body and the flavour is great. I only made it up to 19L to use in a keg.

I'm wondering how this would compare with just adding 1.5kg of liquid malt or 1kg of dry malt? Obviously less bitter but I assume the body and flavour would be as good?

tony

I did a few of them years ago, mostly when I lived in the sticks and relied on the local IGA for supplies. It beats sugar, and the extra 'hop' flavour a bonus. You can make a reasonable beer out of a couple of no name cans.

If you've got access to decent malt extract and hops its probably not such an attractive option.

Also, I used to use 3 cans and split it into 2 fermenters (from memory about 18L each). I think 2 cans for 19L is probably a bit much, hence the bitterness that tonydav found.

Just a note:

I followed Olivers (of HomebrewandBeer.com fame) recipe #26 for Dockside Smoked Stout. This contains:
1 can of Morgan's Stout Kit +
1 can of Morgan's Smoked Kit
Chucked in some WLP-004 Irish Ale Yeast.
Bottle with 125g of brown sugar.

Had my reservations when i poured the Smoked kit can into the fermenter. It smelled like burnt cigarettes. It will dilute, I told myself and prayed.

And after only two weeks in the bottle, she's a ripper.
Lovely creamy head from the lower measure of sugar.
The smoke does not overwealm the dark grains.
Very tasty.

Latest posts

Back